Critters in St. Vincent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHankNYC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I spend a few days diving in St. Vincent. Lots of fantastic opportunities for macro videography.
Shot this video on a Panasonic GH5, 14-42 lens, and CMC wet lens

Really nice video. I appreciate your adding the names of the critters.
I am thinking of going to St Vincents/Bequia in the near future. I'm still doing my research.

Really nice video. I appreciate your adding the names of the critters.
I am thinking of going to St Vincents/Bequia in the near future. I'm still doing my research.
American Airlines just increased the frequency of flights to the island from the US and Sandals is building a large resort on the island. Prior there was only a weekly flight so you had to fly into Barbados, St. Lucia, etc., which made travel difficult, especially if you have dive gear. I've been back since I shot the video above. I really enjoy the populations of small creatures and really love that not many divers are there yet.

American Airlines just increased the frequency of flights to the island from the US and Sandals is building a large resort on the island. Prior there was only a weekly flight so you had to fly into Barbados, St. Lucia, etc., which made travel difficult, especially if you have dive gear. I've been back since I shot the video above. I really enjoy the populations of small creatures and really love that not many divers are there yet.

Where did you stay and who did you dive with there?

Thanks for answering.
Yes. I saw about American airlines. I am thinking of flying out of Westchester airport with connection in Miami.
Could you tell me please where you stayed? and with whom you dove?
At least 2 places I checked have "free" dive gear but I've only dived with mine, an extra $60 for checked bag.
I will have a week's vacation. I am also looking to stay in Bequia. It seems tranquil. And it appears that some lodgings are cheaper after 1 April and others after 1 May although I don't think I can wait til May :)

Where did you stay and who did you dive with there?
I stayed at the Sunset Shores Hotel the first time I went there. The second time, Sunset Shores was unavailable during my time frame. So, I stayed at the Mariners Hotel. Both hotels are convenient for divers - less than a 5-minute walk from the Dive St. Vincent. However, they offered to pick me up on the first day but I walked over with dive gear and camera.

Mariners has a French-inspired restaurant so the food is slightly better.

Thanks for answering.
Yes. I saw about American airlines. I am thinking of flying out of Westchester airport with connection in Miami.
Could you tell me please where you stayed? and with whom you dove?
At least 2 places I checked have "free" dive gear but I've only dived with mine, an extra $60 for checked bag.
I will have a week's vacation. I am also looking to stay in Bequia. It seems tranquil. And it appears that some lodgings are cheaper after 1 April and others after 1 May although I don't think I can wait til May :)
I generally use JFK or LGA, but HPN is a nice airport also.

The first time I stayed at Sunset Shores, and the second time I stayed at Mariners. Both hotels are good for divers. It's just a matter of which one is available. I would have to check my invoices but they were both relatively the same price.

For both dive trips, I booked the hotel and dive package through Dive St. Vincent. They organized airport transfer, hotel w/breakfast, and of course, diving.

In Bequia, I dived with Dive Bequia. Getting from St. Vincent to Bequia is super easy and the ferry system runs on time. I stayed at the Lookout Villa, which is a 5-10 minute drive taxi ride from the dive shop, and it took me about 1/2 hour to walk back without gear. I ended up making a deal with the taxi driver to pick me up each morning. There are hotels that are much closer to the two or three dive shops on the island. However, when I booked, there was not much availability. It's a small island so things seem to book pretty quickly during peak periods.

The first time I stayed at Sunset Shores, and the second time I stayed at Mariners. Both hotels are good for divers. It's just a matter of which one is available. I would have to check my invoices but they were both relatively the same price.

For both dive trips, I booked the hotel and dive package through Dive St. Vincent. They organized airport transfer, hotel w/breakfast, and of course, diving.

In Bequia, I dived with Dive Bequia. Getting from St. Vincent to Bequia is super easy and the ferry system runs on time. I stayed at the Lookout Villa, which is a 5-10 minute drive taxi ride from the dive shop, and it took me about 1/2 hour to walk back without gear. I ended up making a deal with the taxi driver to pick me up each morning. There are hotels that are much closer to the two or three dive shops on the island. However, when I booked, there was not much availability. It's a small island so things seem to book pretty quickly during peak periods.
Helo Hank- I am not a diver- my husband is- but I am the trip planner. We went to Bequia for a week in 2017 and he went out every day with Dive Bequia and fell in love with the island. We have not been back because we very, very rarely repeat an island- we are getting older and there are still too many things on the bucket list; however, he asked a good while back if we could go back to Bequia in 2024 for a big "0" birthday so I am planning- we will go in November like we did before - things busy enough getting ready for Dec. 1 high season but still not crowded and a nice time to get away. I had thought we might go to Union Island for a couple of days before moving on to Bequia this time but a few friends who have been have made me re-think that idea. I had heard from one of them that they thought the diving on St. Vincent was good. Can you compare the diving in SV and Bequia or is it "apples and oranges"? Also, do you remember seeing the Beachcomber's Inn and know if it is in the vicinity of the dive op you used? I can certainly find out but thought you might have some perspective you could offer. Thank you so much for any insight or messages.

PS On a very sad note, Bob Sachs, the owner of Dive Bequia died in an airplane crash a few days ago. He was piloting his plane and had 3 passengers along headed to St. Lucia. Tragic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom