Critique and Criticism needed on this pic!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the constructive comments. I was indeed trying to go for the feel of where the fish lives, like him looking at me from his perspective (through his window) kinda thing. I agree that there may be too much of the sponge which does indeed deter from the fish, however, I thought the purple and brown coral were key in the lower left corner to throw in some more colours. In this one i cropped to the coral in the corner the only problem is that the subject may be a little too centered

Which do you prefer? first or second??
This one. I agreed the very vivid orange was a +/-. Lovely (and I hate the color orange) with the surface detail and mitigated by the ear(ish) portion breaking it up – but it overpowered that great fish expression. Getting the spark of blue of it’s R eye, faint yellow shading of fin behind – excellent!.
Feeling the variety of color and texture retained here is a good compromise, our ‘eyes’ are in agreement. The L side pink and red stuff (bottom L) not only enhance the photo over all, but are necessary color additions to blend the orange into the whole and not ‘in my face’. The overhanging frilly stuff framing the fish is artistic.
This does not look like a picture of a fish taken in tropical waters, but a fine-looking arty photograph and I’d be proud of capturing it (let alone making it so LOL.)
Edit: Sorry, but in Chucks I see a picture of orange sponge with a fish next to it. I look and don't linger to 'see' it.

Just my 2 psi, but I think sometime we try too much for portraits. Not every fish photo has to be a close up of the fish's face. What I liked about his original photo was that it showed where the fish lived. People who don't dive have no idea how beautiful it is under the sea. Besides, when you crop that photo too close, you can see how soft it really is.

What she said.

Here's my shot. Kept the Hydrocoral, I think it adds a lot to the shot. Shrunk the red sponge. Magnetic lassoed the fish and did 100% unsharp mask at 1 pixel @ 2 levels and 100% at .2 pixel @ 2 levels. Took out more of the rock on the right, but left the color to keep the subject slightly off center.

RockBeautypssm.jpg

that's nice Larry. There are so many features of PS that I forget to use, or more accurately, after I learn how to use them, forget how to use them. Like the magic lasso. I haven't used that for quite some time.

Both works. Depends on what you want the picture to say. It can be either a fish portrait or it can show the fish in its natural environment. I don't think one is naturally better than the other. Very nice shot! I would have never guessed you got this with built-in strobes. Nice!

First, I really like the photo. My only complaint is too much red, as stated above.
I like the framing the red provides, but I'd use less and still keep as much of the other background as possible. Plus, Mr. Fish gets bigger!

As long as others are taking a shot, here's mine:
fish.jpg

Chuck

Can I send you my pics for post processing? :D

Chuck's rendition is good.. the red was WAY too much on the original.. when I opened it, it was the first thing my eye was drawn to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom