Crew Gratuities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erico

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I am thinking of going on a livaboard in the U.S. can you tell me the norm for crew tips as I have been told that they expect 15% of total cost of trip. As both my wife and I are paying over $5000 for one week and I know the boat has a very small crew it makes a total of $750.
There are 12 divers going so making a total of $4500 tips..not bad for 3 or 4 people.
If this is the norm well I have to except its just in the Red Sea livaboards $100 for a week each seems more than well accepted.

It's nice to use the 15% guideline but I firmly believe tips are based on the level of service provided.

Since I know the crew is probably low paid to start with (nobody at this level in the dive industry is well paid IMO), I'd start with 10% and add for better than average service and less if the crew is rude. If there's an issue with the boat itself, take it up with the captain and don't hold it against the crew.

Erico:
Hi
I am thinking of going on a livaboard in the U.S. can you tell me the norm for crew tips as I have been told that they expect 15% of total cost of trip. As both my wife and I are paying over $5000 for one week and I know the boat has a very small crew it makes a total of $750.
There are 12 divers going so making a total of $4500 tips..not bad for 3 or 4 people.
If this is the norm well I have to except its just in the Red Sea livaboards $100 for a week each seems more than well accepted.

Wow... what 1 week liveaboard in the US costs $2500 each ($5000 for both of you). Just curious.

For a both that caters to 12 divers, I'll bet there will be more than just 3 or 4 crew. At least 4 to 6 perhaps. You'll have to have two captains, typically 1 cook, plus a divemaster, sometimes an boat engineer for engines and compressors and one or two "deck hands" to help will all of the above.

Some boat crews like on fishing charters work only for tips. Some pay their crew something and but survive on the tips.

$4500 to split between 6 crew is a nice tip for a weeks work.

A $750 tip for two people for a week long trip does seem high though... (of course $5000 seems high also for a one week trip).

Can you email the captain or booking agent for your trip and ask them what is standard for their crew tips? (most places are more than welcome to give guidelines).

-mike

mike_s:
Wow... what 1 week liveaboard in the US costs $2500 each ($5000 for both of you). Just curious.

For a both that caters to 12 divers, I'll bet there will be more than just 3 or 4 crew. At least 4 to 6 perhaps. You'll have to have two captains, typically 1 cook, plus a divemaster, sometimes an boat engineer for engines and compressors and one or two "deck hands" to help will all of the above.

Some boat crews like on fishing charters work only for tips. Some pay their crew something and but survive on the tips.

$4500 to split between 6 crew is a nice tip for a weeks work.

A $750 tip for two people for a week long trip does seem high though... (of course $5000 seems high also for a one week trip).

Can you email the captain or booking agent for your trip and ask them what is standard for their crew tips? (most places are more than welcome to give guidelines).

-mike
Hi Mike

The trip is out of West Palm to go and do Great Hammerheads...And yes coming over from Ireland for one weeks diving is very expensive but a trip I would love to do.
The boat crew consists of owner and wife and I have been told a couple of crew.
I recently was sent a list of things to bring and it was on this that was mentioned 15% gratuities on total cost of trip. I know that there is ten other divers so am a bit shocked at the amount of gratuities asked but don't want to seem to be the pauper.
I know the boat is not that big to allow for a lot of crew.

Erico:
Hi Mike

The trip is out of West Palm to go and do Great Hammerheads...And yes coming over from Ireland for one weeks diving is very expensive but a trip I would love to do.
The boat crew consists of owner and wife and I have been told a couple of crew.
I recently was sent a list of things to bring and it was on this that was mentioned 15% gratuities on total cost of trip. I know that there is ten other divers so am a bit shocked at the amount of gratuities asked but don't want to seem to be the pauper.
I know the boat is not that big to allow for a lot of crew.

From what you are saying the total value includes the transatlantic air fares.
If so, those don't enter into the basis for the tip.

I assume it may be this one or similar:
http://www.divequest.co.uk/coursedetail.cfm?CourseID=56

What would the liveaboard cost if you lived at the departure point in West Palm and had no travel costs to get there?

The price from departure point is $2500 each ...same trip just got our flights from Dublin and booked direct.

Erico:
Hi

This tipping business has gotten so out of hand and the worst offenders are over-tipping Americans. 15% tip on total of your trip is ABSURD! Tip DM $10 a day per person. If you got great service, [ what sercvice are we talking about anyway? I want to set my own gear up] tip $100 per person for the week. If they don't like that then TS!! The fact that they might not be paid well by the owners is not your responsibility, nor is it your task to pay their wages when the boss won't. That just puts more money in his pocket.

pilot fish:
This tipping business has gotten so out of hand and the worst offenders are over-tipping Americans. 15% tip on total of your trip is ABSURD! Tip DM $10 a day per person. If you got great service, [ what sercvice are we talking about anyway? I want to set my own gear up] tip $100 per person for the week. If they don't like that then TS!! The fact that they might not be paid well by the owners is not your responsibility, nor is it your task to pay their wages when the boss won't. That just puts more money in his pocket.

Thats an average tip for a two tank day trip. Erico is going on a liveaboard. The crew not only helps you in and out the water. They clean your room, prepare your meals and keep the boat running. I'm afraid a $70 tip would be "absurd" for nearly any 7 day liveaboard.

You're correct that "the boss" could just pay the crew better but the price for your trip would end up being 15-20% higher. Then the crew wouldn't have any reason to work harder to earn their wages.

miesemer:
Thats an average tip for a two tank day trip. Erico is going on a liveaboard. The crew not only helps you in and out the water. They clean your room, prepare your meals and keep the boat running. I'm afraid a $70 tip would be "absurd" for nearly any 7 day liveaboard.

You're correct that "the boss" could just pay the crew better but the price for your trip would end up being 15-20% higher. Then the crew wouldn't have any reason to work harder to earn their wages.

They clean your room? Aren't all those things figured into the price? I can tell you, I'm not tipping $750. While $70 is low for multi dives a day I think going the other way is ridiculous. How about $125 for the week per person? That seems fair. Your room is a bunk, real small

pilot fish:
They clean your room? Aren't all those things figured into the price? I can tell you, I'm not tipping $750. While $70 is low for multi dives a day I think going the other way is ridiculous. How about $125 for the week per person? That seems fair. Your room is a bunk, real small

Maybe you're confused on the tip distribution? The 15% tip gets split between the dive crew (typically all instructors), house keeping, galley staff, first mate and engineering. I just returned from an Aqua Cat cruise which carries 22 passengers and 11 crew. The 15% tip on this trip ended up being $270 per person. You had the potential to do 26 dives per week, had meals waiting for you three times a day and, yes, my room and bath cleaned, bed made and fresh towels waiting.

If you haven't been on a liveaboard dive trip, I highly recommend it.

BTW - our stateroom on the Aqua Cat had a queen bed and single bed, a full bath and a mini refrigerator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom