Cressi-Sub Horizon - Skirt Type???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
I was in my LDS the other day, and the mgr. mentioned something about the Cressi-Sub Horizon black skirt color being useless. Said something about "light entering through the front isn't filtered out the sides" and causes vision problems/distortion. I read in on some other thread, and this makes sense, but I was just wondering how it really effects vision with the Horizon in particular.

If you dive the Horizon, do you know anything about this? Or, which color skirt do you have? Or, if you know what he was getting at, that would help too :D

Basically, I'm really interested in the peripheral vision because it helps me keep track of my buddy, but I really like the black skirt. The Horizon seemed like a low-volume solution to the problem.

:confused:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
"light entering through the front isn't filtered out the sides" and causes vision problems/distortion.

I have an Horizon with the black skirt, I actually prefer the black skirt, and I haven’t observed any distortions.

But then again, that would explain the hallucinations I’ve been having in the pool that I’ve attributed to ocean withdrawal.:D

Mike

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

"light entering through the front isn't filtered out the sides"

This statement doesn't make any sense to me. The light comes in the front and bounces around awhile because it can't get out the sides :confused: Weird.

Anyway, my experience with black skirts is the opposite, they cut reflections and distractions. Its something you either like or don't. I would suggest you try and get one on loan, or trial first to see if you like it.

They also don't fit alot of people and tend to leak under the nose. Another reason to try b4 u buy.

MD

I have the orizon w the transparent skirt, never tryed the black one...
Mine is ok, just looks little bit fragile, but never had problems
peripherical vis is wonderful, little bit distorted but you can track your buddy also if he's little bit behind you, and you can see easily your chest

hope it helps

I have one that is clear. No problems other than I paid $100 for it at a LDS and $35 for one off the internet.

I added one of the pull adjustment straps and just love it. And, all the people that said I was going to get my hair caught in it... well hasnt happened yet.

good luck

MechDiver once bubbled...
This statement doesn't make any sense to me. The light comes in the front and bounces around awhile because it can't get out the sides :confused: Weird.
Sounds wierd to me too. But looking at all of the peripheral masks he had on the wall (Mares ESA, etc.), they all had clear skirts. There must be a reason for this in panoramic-style masks.

The mask I currently use has a black skirt, and I'm fine with it. It just doesn't have peripheral vision (since I regularly overshoot my buddy, and this would help).

Is there anyone else out there with masks similar to this?
(black skirt with side windows)

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

Is there anyone else out there with masks similar to this?
(black skirt with side windows)

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Yes, Scubapro has a new one with a black skirt. Very light and small, would not work with DiveOptx or similiar. Quite a bit of distortion in the "corners". No idea on price.

MD

I appreciate all the responses. I'm going to the LDS to try the black skirt one on again (for the 3rd time). If I like it I'll probably go ahead and get it.

That is, off of LP :D .... Sorry, my LDS wants $75 for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom