Cressi Regs - quality, performance and service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austincreek

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am wondering about Cressi’s latest top of the line reg (T10 SC Master Cromo) from two perspectives. This is for a recreational diver use, keep in mind.

1. Build quality and performance. The specs and ANSTI tests look very good (0.6J/L breathing effort, for example). Do you think this reg set is on par with, for example, MK17/C370?

2. Service locally. I live in VA, and it seems that there are more Cressi dealers around here than Scubapro. Also when I scan across US, there are plenty of Cressi dealers. Many on this forum have expressed concerns with Cressi due to the availability of service. Is this still a fact based concern, or is it a long lasting unfavorable perception?

Just looking for friendly fair opinions and discussions. I know at the end, everyone has his/her own favorite and that’s ok.

I love cressi for their fins and masks. They are not even in the top 5 of regs I would choose. I’m not sure about their newest line, but there are far better options. IMHO

I would NOT even think about buying Cressi regulators, not in a million years. Scubapro, Apeks, Atomic, AL are ages ahead of Cressi.

Do you think this reg set is on par with, for example, MK17/C370?

Not at all.

Curious, why? Inherent design? Performance? Manufacturing quality? Longetivity?

Performance, reliability, quality, longevity.

Cressi is probably a very good freediving/spearfishing mfg. but not scuba or regulators at all. I have a dive school and had few Cressi regulators, dive computers and BC's. Their regulators are terrible in every way possible. We have phased out Cressi's regulators and replaced them with Scubapro and Atomic regulators.

I have two sets of Cressi regs, both using the MC9/(SC) first stages. The Cressi Ellipse Titanium Balanced 2nd stages breath very well in all conditions I've dived them in: cold ~44F and shallow or deep, warm tropics, shallow and deep (130+ft), fresh water and salt water, clear and crappy water, with zero issues across ~90 dives on them. The Cressi Compact Pro 2nd stages, however, are why I have Deep 6 Signature on the way. The Compact Pro's are terrible breathing regs imo.

I don't have a T10 but do have an MC9/Compact. Have dove them half a dozen times in fresh water springs and lakes; have absolutely no issue with them. I think that the typical skew of SB posters is heavily against cressi. There are lot of technical divers and professionals on this board who would advocate for Scubapro, Apeks, HOG, Deep 6 because they use those brands in tech diving more frequently. For the casual diver (me) the cressi works just fine. My daughter has a Scubapro Mk11/C360 combo.. I don't notice a difference between her MK11/C360 and my MC9/Compact.

My limited experience is easy to sum up:
30 years ago nobody in their right minds bought Cressi regs, now 30 years later, I've learned that some things never change.

Michael

Lol :rofl3::rofl3:

Greetings everyone,

I am wondering about Cressi’s latest top of the line reg (T10 SC Master Cromo) from two perspectives. This is for a recreational diver use, keep in mind.

1. Build quality and performance. The specs and ANSTI tests look very good (0.6J/L breathing effort, for example). Do you think this reg set is on par with, for example, MK17/C370?

2. Service locally. I live in VA, and it seems that there are more Cressi dealers around here than Scubapro. Also when I scan across US, there are plenty of Cressi dealers. Many on this forum have expressed concerns with Cressi due to the availability of service. Is this still a fact based concern, or is it a long lasting unfavorable perception?

Just looking for friendly fair opinions and discussions. I know at the end, everyone has his/her own favorite and that’s ok.
CRESSI SUB has been longer on the market than most other brands.
They had been always more famous for their wetsuits, fins, masks and jackets than for their regs.
Their 1sts have been always okay, their AC2 has been one of the best Fleet 1sts on the market with excellent components and fantastic reliability. Their AC2/XS2 Combi is probably the best value for the money concerning Fleet Regs I think.
Their MC series is nothing special but not bad, still doing a better job concerning balancing than for example the MK17 of SP.
The problem with most Cressi Regs are the 2nds, apart of the XS2 most other as I know them seem to be substandard concerning components, performance, reliability and longevity. Their design of mixing plastic and metal parts is problematic from the technicians point of view, like the notorious Eclipse or Compact Series....
The latest MC Balanced 2nds Serious might be better than older models, but I have my doubts.......

Back
Top Bottom