Cressi "Alaska" Cold Water Kit Installation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NovaScotiaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Scubaboard Gurus,
I recently purchased Cressi Titanium regulators for my wife and I, not knowing that they made the "Alaska" model that comes with the cold water kit pre-installed. Long story short, I fell victim to the cold water kit "marketing hype" that so many on this board have chastised, and purchased the kits. I was hoping to avoid the free-flow problem that others have mentioned, as my wife and I dive in cold sea water here in Nova Scotia.

The Cressi web site says that they're easy to install, the vendor I bought them from recommended that I take them to an authorized Cressi service shop (an hour and a half away) to have them installed. They didn't come with an installation manual, and I was wondering if anyone's ever installed these (or kits like it) and could walk me through the process. Thanks in advance,

Looking the piece over, it appears that the cold water attachment should simply screw into the bottom of the 1st stage. I don't want to detach the 1st stage until I know this is something I can do myself. (i.e. I don't want to screw anything up). Hoping someone can guide me through....

Wish I could help you directly, but this link to a .pdf of Cressi's regulator manuals may help. See manual page 31 (section 1.2) regarding the anti-freeze kit.

http://www.cressi.it/easyUp/file/instructions/IB_Erogatori_uk.pdf

I think you'll be able to figure it out from the schematics.

They add a couple warnings:

WARNING: After having mounted the antifreeze kit, the
MC7 Balanced Diaphragm 1st Stage must be reset.

WARNING: The intermediate pressure should only be
adjusted by Cressi-sub authorized centers. Changing pre-set
values can affect the proper function of the regulator.

Dave C

Wish I could help you directly, but this link to a .pdf of Cressi's regulator manuals may help. See manual page 31 (section 1.2) regarding the anti-freeze kit.

http://www.cressi.it/easyUp/file/instructions/IB_Erogatori_uk.pdf

I think you'll be able to figure it out from the schematics.

They add a couple warnings:

WARNING: After having mounted the antifreeze kit, the
MC7 Balanced Diaphragm 1st Stage must be reset.

WARNING: The intermediate pressure should only be
adjusted by Cressi-sub authorized centers. Changing pre-set
values can affect the proper function of the regulator.

Dave C

Thanks so much for the file, the schematics give me a good indication of what needs to be done. Although the warnings worry me. Will I be changing the "intermediate pressure" if I take the bottom off the 1st stage?

Thanks so much for the file, the schematics give me a good indication of what needs to be done. Although the warnings worry me. Will I be changing the "intermediate pressure" if I take the bottom off the 1st stage?

Hopefully, someone will chime in with good advice on this simple issue.

Unfortunately, I know very little about diaphragm types, so I can't advise you on this issue. My experience with DIY regulator maintenance is limited to the piston type 1st stage.

However, if you're headed for DIY regulator maintenance, I highly recommend Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair.

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

This issue looks pretty straight forward in the book, but it's better that someone more knowledgeable give you direct advice.

Where is everybody? :D

Dave C

Hopefully, someone will chime in with good advice on this simple issue.
Where is everybody? :D

Dave C

Anyone? Would I be ok to unscrew the bottom of the first stage and replace it with the cold water attachment? If I did so, would I be in danger of messing things up in terms of the fine tuning?

Thanks, Dave for your help!

I have no experience with Cressi, but from the schematics, it looks like you will change the IP if you unscrew the bottom/diaphragm.

In the least, you would need an IP gauge to reset the IP and whatever tools necessary to disassemble/reassembe the reg.

My gut tells me that you might be better off having a professional do this. I know for a different manufacturer, the IP is set lower with the CWK and then once installation is complete, the IP is magically back at the desired specs. In other words, the CWK might affect the IP, so it may not be as simple as dialing it in and putting it all back together.

Also, I don't know if a CWK on a diaphragm reg is all that useful. You might be better off returning them and just diving the regs as they are.

The CWK will only prevent the main spring from freezing. Yes, when this freezes, air will forceable shoot from both second stages and maybe your LP hose, but this is pretty rare. I think most free flows start in the second stage, so having the CWK won't help this.

Also, I don't know if a CWK on a diaphragm reg is all that useful. You might be better off returning them and just diving the regs as they are.

The CWK will only prevent the main spring from freezing. Yes, when this freezes, air will forceable shoot from both second stages and maybe your LP hose, but this is pretty rare. I think most free flows start in the second stage, so having the CWK won't help this.

Thanks for your advice. I've had the feeling since the beginning that taking it to someone who knows what they're doing would probably be the best route :D Especially if I don't want to void the warranties on the regs.

The nearest guy is 1.5 hours away, which is why I was hoping to be able to install it myself, but I'm having him check out some of my other gear later on this month, so I'll do it all at once. I didn't pay much for the kits (surprisingly), and returning them back to the store in the States where I bought them wouldn't be worth it, since I've already paid duty charges, so I may as well install them, needed or not.

I wish I had have posted this before I bought......live and learn I guess :)

You might want to check if your not-so-local dive shop will charge you more for the annual service because the CWK is installed. If it's going to be extra money, it might be better just to give it away in Canada.

I'm guessing it won't be extra loonies, especially if it's not oil/grease/chisto-lube fllled, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom