Cree XML Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If its making its way to TLS, could you post beamshots of the XML vs P7 vs MC-E? :D Just to show that the XML will be the bee's knees.

Doc:
The XML IS better than the MCE and the P7... The XML is in the same league as the SST-50... I fired both against each other and to me the 50 had just a slightly smaller hot spot. Not enough to really matter. The XML wins because it runs at 3 amps vs 5 for the 50. I took pics with my Iphone and beams are identical!

Now as for price the SSC P7 and MCE win because they are packaged in a nice module with driver for $25....

My 50 and XML builds use the Takled driver which is about $45 and custom heatsinks which take more to build... So I suspect those will be around $100 more or in the $550 range.

Here are the beam shots and the three ring magnet assembly. There are 2 magnets 180 degrees apart in the middle ring. I put a nice dab of silicone over the magnets to keep them dry. This added a nice friction feel to the ring that prevents it from moving around freely. The two outer rings may get a set screw to hold them in. If I keep this set up, I will make the rings much smaller (at least the outer ones). This will allow for shorter barrel length.

Overall I am very happy with the first XML build. Like I said earlier, the only issue is that, since there is not a pre made module, yet, it will be some more $$$ to produce since there is a bit of custom work to be done.

Oh, and yes, the beam shot pixcs are upside down! lol

Attachments

• XML Beam.jpg
    XML Beam.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 95
  • SST-50.jpg
    SST-50.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 3-ring magnet assembly.jpg
    3-ring magnet assembly.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 131
How short can you make the head? Is it possible to position the rings in such a way that the actuating ring is in a modified goodman handle?

If you notice, the gap between the rings and the auto clamp, you could remove about 1/2" or more if you make smaller rings. Yes, I would guess that the magnets could go on a goodman handle. The only problem I foresee is if the head spins then you lose contact. Now, I have contacted Taskled and asked for a different hall effect switch, one with latching so that it takes a swipe to turn on and a swipe to turn off. This way if you lose contact with the magnet, the light will not shut off. Also, could have the magnet separate from the head all together.

The length of the barrel was cut to about 3.5" of ehich about 2.75" are out showing.

More thoughts on XML vs 1200lm module vs SST-50:
1. All three are great.
2. The 1200lm module is bluer than the other 2.
2. The XML is whiter than the other 2
3. The SST-50 has a smoothe reflector so it shows a few artifacts.
4. The 1200lm module is the cheapest and easiest to mod since no heatsinks have to be made.
5. The 1200lm module has the least flood.
6. XML and SST-50 have similar beams in terms of flood and hot spot.

Again, all three are great! 1200lm module wins for price vs lumens and beam. The SST-50 wins for brightness but not by much. The XML is a great compromise for power usage and lumens. Decisions decisions.. You will not be disappointed with any of them...

Back
Top Bottom