Cree XML Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
OK, here is another one... This one is a Cree XML that will be a Maglite based system wiith modified OMS. Will be powered by a 7.4 volt LiIon pack with 8-10 cells. This one will be my first hall effect actuated light. The switch will be mounted on the tail cap along with the driver and will use a magnet to turn light on and off. Should be really nice to not have a toggle switch. We will see!

Crappy pictures provided by Iphone! lol

Attachments

• Cree XML Build.jpg
    Cree XML Build.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 308
  • Cree XML Heatsink and Hall.jpg
    Cree XML Heatsink and Hall.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Tail cap mounted driver.jpg
    Tail cap mounted driver.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 265
  • XML Hall Effect.jpg
    XML Hall Effect.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 246
I never really messed with the R2 but the XML should be much brighter!

OK, guys, here is the finished head... I used the XML with the taskled H6CC and the taskled hall effect switch. This is my first light without a toggle switch. I have to say that the taskled hall effect switch is SWEET!

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Completed head.jpg
    Completed head.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 209
  • XML Beam.jpg
    XML Beam.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 190
  • SST-50.jpg
    SST-50.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Pressed into tail.jpg
    Pressed into tail.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Magnet.jpg
    Magnet.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 176
  • DX Magnet.jpg
    DX Magnet.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 164
Looks really good!

Hows the beam? Focussed or floody?

No pics of how you did the hall switch. nice idea using that instead of the toggle and makes using the OMS canister easier I bet.

Looks really good!

Hows the beam? Focussed or floody?

No pics of how you did the hall switch. nice idea using that instead of the toggle and makes using the OMS canister easier I bet.

Yeap, definitely easier to do the OMS... Only one hole and can be done on the lathe in the middle of the can so no worries about fitting it and having enough space for the toggle...

The hall effect is a top secret mod... OK, not really I just forgot to put details in. Basically what I did was to take the part that inserts into the tail cap, put it on the mill and flatten a side to mount the hall effect on there. This would be hard to do without a mill. Has to match the side where the wires come out of the driver so you can hook them up from the driver to the switch...

My next build will be to incorporate the LED, driver and hall effect on one heatsink. This will move the magnet to the front of the head (which may or may not make any difference)...

The hall effect for $10 is a bargain..

Look at the attached pic and you may be able to figure out what I mean.. I am waving a stack of magnets over the hall effect that is mounted on the side of the heatsink!

Attachments

• Testing Magnet.jpg
    Testing Magnet.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 561
LOL - I'd figured out where the hall switch was (very nice piece from taskled) but was trying to figure out where the magnet was held as I couldn't see a ring with the magnet in it so was wondering if the magnet was mounted into the goodman handle and you rotate the entire light head??

Can you get the OMS canisters again yet??

This one is definitely a winner that will make it to the TLS offerings!!!

For actuating the switch, I am goon to build a 3 ring system where two outer rings will be stationary and the inner will rotate and hold the magnet in. I will knurl the center ring for grip and will try to achieve a nice friction fit to give it some feel! I thought about a handle mount but not sure of that yet!

OMS canisters should be on their way, although I have not heard yet! For some reason those are on backorder a lot...

If its making its way to TLS, could you post beamshots of the XML vs P7 vs MC-E? :D Just to show that the XML will be the bee's knees.

Reactions: BB1
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom