Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
As I said, the "Y" was only invented 500 years in Greece after Moses wrote Genesis in Canaan. So you are still wrong about the proper transliteration.

A. Moses didn't write Genesis. No reputable Biblical scholar believes that. Nowhere in the Torah/Pentateuch does it claim Moses wrote any part of it. Moses writing it was a myth that was passed down over the years. There is no evidence that it was written by him, period.

B. There is no Y in Hebrew period. The character is a "yodh". It doesn't matter when the Greek Y was invented as the Greek and English alphabets are not the same.

You are simply incorrect on every count. Furthermore, if you read the Pentateuch in Hebrew as you claim, you would know better than to claim Moses was the author as the writing style and terminology changes too often.

You scoffed at a dead soldier who happened to be an atheist. You claim to be able to read Greek and Hebrew but cannot muster any discernible evidence of it. When corrected, you switch topics or simply deny reality.

According to the Book of Proverbs, I should no longer talk to you.
Stay away from foolish people; they have nothing to teach you. Prov 14:7

Welcome to the Ignore List.

Well, seeing as how procreation is difficult between different species. We have to assume the giants were homo sapiens since they procreated with other homo sapiens.

If you know anywhere neare as much about Biblical interpretation as you claim, then you are fully aware that there are quite a few opinions regarding who (or what) the giants were and what was meant by "giants".
Unless you think modern genetics is some sort of secular humanist conspiracy to discredit the Biblical account of Noah.

LOL
You may not be aware of this, but Genesis claims ridiculous longevity for many people. You should really try reading it sometime.

Of course I'm aware of it and I do read it.
Its full of all sorts of weird stuff. In the case of longevity, scholarly opinion thinks that these claims are made to represent the longevity of tribes themselves and not particular people.

Which scholars would these be?
No. He closed the windows or holes in the solid sky. He closed fountains in the deep that were pumping out water. God also stopped the solid sky from leaking. Rain to you is not what Rain was to the ancient hebrews. I have explained this repeatedly. You keep just saying "nuh uh".

Rain is rain but it has been described in all sorts of colorful ways in speach and literature.
However, even if you concede that the story still doesn't work.

There are obviously many who disagree with you.

A. Moses didn't write Genesis. No reputable Biblical scholar believes that.

Who are these "reputable scholars" that you keep refering to?
Nowhere in the Torah/Pentateuch does it claim Moses wrote any part of it. Moses writing it was a myth that was passed down over the years. There is no evidence that it was written by him, period.

Not true. The text of the Pentateuch hints to authorship in several places as do other books of both the Old testament and New Testament. There is plenty of evidence that Moses wrote the Pentateuch.
You are simply incorrect on every count. Furthermore, if you read the Pentateuch in Hebrew as you claim, you would know better than to claim Moses was the author as the writing style and terminology changes too often.

Clearly, not everyone who reads it in Hebrew comes to that conclusion.

Actually yes!
I fully expected someone to point that out, thereby showing themselves to fit the mold of the person Baumgardner was writing about. As did the one attempting to hehe "debunk"? the math.

Of course Thall fell for it as always. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

The Lord has not let me rest since posting this. Yes, I did know where the post came from as I was doing some research on the opposition when I found it and cut it out.

The rest of the post came from my pride when I read the responses. I had no expectation and only used an opportunity to throw some mud at Thal and the one who pointed it out. I lied and for that I apologize to them and to the board.
I Thank God for His forgiving nature.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled argument

Not true. The text of the Pentateuch hints to authorship in several places as do other books of both the Old testament and New Testament. There is plenty of evidence that Moses wrote the Pentateuch.

Hints are not evidence. There is not a scrap of evidence that Moses wrote the Torah. The evidence says that the Torah was combined from a number of sources based on the terminology shifts, separate writing styles. Moses' authorship equates to the Biblical version of an urban legend.

When people ask, "What would Jesus do?", apparently "Google it" is never the right answer since Jesus knew everything. Being human though, you should probably try it sometime.

The Lord has not let me rest since posting this. Yes, I did know where the post came from as I was doing some research on the opposition when I found it and cut it out.

The rest of the post came from my pride when I read the responses. I had no expectation and only used an opportunity to throw some mud at Thal and the one who pointed it out. I lied and for that I apologize to them and to the board.

That's pretty big of you. I am frequently guilty of those same things for which you apoloized.
Examining how we treat each other is a good thing in my estimation.
Maybe you will start a trend.
Spencer

Tone down the insults, ok, but really I feel that a lot of excellent links have been made to science-related sites. Many of the 105,000 and counting hits made by people to this thread can read and educate themselves. A good thing, yes?

Really interesting historical information, word origins (eg, the firmanent) and contrasting theology are here, too.

Educate themselves? Who? Creationists? Give me a break, they'll continue to deny any factual evidence that contradicts their world view. Creationists will never accept the facts because doing so would destroy the fairy tales they believe in. I can only hope that the information provided will keep people away from creationist clap trap.

Maybe. However if (and I say if) the more correct translation is "land" rather than "world" as some (including the Catholic church, I believe) ....

Born and raised Catholic here. Spent 5 years in the Catholic Seminary system. Walked away from the whole deal for my own reasons...

That said, you are incorrect. The official Catholic teaching is that the stories in the bible are Truth, but are not necessarily Fact. The Bible is to be interpreted contextually, not literally. This is straight out of every theology class I took as a seminarian. Therefore, the Catholic church may teach the story that the flood covered the whole world, but they do not attempt to say that the facts of this story actually happened, only that the lessons to be learned from it are Truth.

Of course, it's all BS anyways, but that's just my take on it. :D

Rain is rain but it has been described in all sorts of colorful ways in speach and literature.

Interesting. So, too, I would say, has the creation of the world, the beginning of mankind, the freat flood, the crossing of the Red Sea, some obscure wedding that ran out of wine, a crowd that really liked eating fish and bread, etc.....

However, every time someone tries to explain that as simply life lessons "described in all sorts of colorful ways in speach and literature", your take on that is a bit different...

Bread and fish for thought....

Apology accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom