Crawling out from under my rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Beach Crabs! How the heck are ya? :D

I know I sorta disappeared for a while, but I'm trying to get back into diving again. I've been distracted from diving for a couple of reasons -- first, I got a new job recently that has been really sucking up my time and attention. I'm feeling pretty well settled in there now, and I'm ready to start spending more of my time and energy on leisure activities, such as diving.

Second, Charlie (hubby) and I bought a sailboat this summer, and we've spent every extra moment we had in fixing her up. Shes a 27-ft sloop-rigged custom-built boat that comfortably sleeps four, called a Matrix-27. She's about 20 years old and needed quite a bit of work, most of which we did ourselves. My big contribution was stripping and varnishing the beautiful teak-and-holly floor in the cabin, which came out awesome (if I do say so myself)! We finished the majority of the work a few weeks ago, and have been taking her out most weekends for either day-sails, or overnighters to Santa Cruz. We're planning on doing a lot of diving off her, but so far we've only gotten in one dive, in Smugglers Cove at Santa Cruz. We named her Julianne (which is a combination of my name, LeeAnne, and our daughter's name, Julia) and we keep her in a slip at the Anacapa Isle Marine in Channel Islands Harbor.

As for diving, other than the dive we did at Santa Cruze, I've only gotten in one beach dive since bug season opened, down in Malibu. I came up with one legal, although I had my hands wrapped around the BIGGEST bull lobster I've EVER seen (and Ice, my dive buddy, saw it so he can corroborate!). I let him go (Ice would tell you he got away on his own, but don't believe him) :wink:. We also have gone hoop-netting a couple times with our dingy, out at the breakwater at the mouth of the harbor. Unfortunately, they're doing dredging there now and the Harbor Patrol won't let us hoop-net at night anymore until they're done, which probably won't be for at least a couple months, so no more hoop-netting in the harbor. :depressed: So I gotta get out there and get me some bugs!

So how's the diving been? Are y'all keepin it going? I'd love to join you for a beach dive sometime soon! I'll check the calendar and see what's happening. Hope to see y'all soon!

Hey stranger nice to hear from you. Good luck with the boat I know it takes a lot of time, work & money. Hope to see you in the water soon.

John

Back
Top Bottom