Cracked Pots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoutmaster moments, and we share them on a weekly basis with our boys. Here is one that I wrote/shared that was actually published in a book called the "Scouting Way"...

I want to confess something to the group tonight. This past week I was stopped by a cop. Yeah, it happened on the new road 414 too. I came over the hill and there they were; there were four of them. At first sight, my heart leapt into my throat, the hair on the back of my neck stood up, and I began to sweat. I looked at the speedometer and saw that I was doing a mile or two under the speed limit, and still I was panicky. The first thought to hit me was that saying… “The guilty flee when no one pursues”, and then it happened. The policeman stepped out into the road and waved for me to stop.

Now my mind was really racing… what DID I do? Was just driving on this road going to get me a ticket? Well, by the time these and a thousand other thoughts raced through my head I had pulled over and the policeman came to my window. I just knew I was in trouble, but I didn’t know what I did. I rolled my window down, was just about to say something in my defense, when he said. “Sir, I am sorry to disturb you, but I just had to stop you and thank you. We have been here a few hours and you are the first person that was actually doing the speed limit. In fact you were doing 43 in a 45 zone.” “That’s it?” I blurted out in relief. “Yes, that’s it. I just want to thank you again and encourage you keep driving safely. Have a great day.” I think I might have said a weak “OK” as I meandered back onto the road, my jaw hanging down in disbelief. And then I really started to think…

I wonder what type of emotions our Scouts have when they see us approach? Are they panicky like me? Do their little minds race trying to figure out what kind of trouble is heading their way? Are they feverishly trying to answer the question, “What did I do”? Gosh, I hope not. I really don’t want them to see any of us as the “Campout Police”, but as a friend and mentor. But, how can we change our image to them? It’s simple; just excel at catching them doing something right! That’s right, jump on them when they least expect it and praise them for something they just did. Don’t wait for them to solve all of the world’s problems to give them a pat on the back. Thank them when they listen, or thank them when they show up on time. Do it especially if they are having trouble in that area. Do it the very next time you see them. Then do it again, and again, and again!!! You see, we all learn much better when we are praised. We all know when we screw up, but many times we never realize we actually have our act together. A single word of praise here will crystallize the moment! I try to keep a 10/1 or better compliment/criticism ratio. Sure, it’s human nature to criticize, but go against that, and you will see your boys eager to have you around. More importantly, you will see their character flourish!

"Fla-Bob" Pete Murray “The Florida Bobwhite”
"A good ol' Bobwhite too..." NECS-59
"A good ol’ Eagle too…” SR-394
Crew 7 Advisor, SCUBA Venture Crew, Altamonte Springs
Troop 7 Assistant Scout Master, Altamonte Springs

A sparrow was a little late flying south for the winter. so when he did go, it was too cold and he froze and fell into a feild. While there a cow walked over and crapped on him. This was not all bad though, he warmed up and began to feel happier, so he started singing. A cat walked by and heard the singing and came and ate the sparrow.

the moral of the story is: not everyone who craps on you is your enemy, not everyone who digs you out of crap is your friend, and if you're all happy and warm keep your big mouth shut

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom