Crab in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ren127

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please help me figure out what kind of crab this is. I still don't know how our DM Tony (Scuba Club Cozumel) found this guy. It was on a night dive on Paradise Reef. He said he saw the "grass moving"- that's about what this guy looked like.... Sargassum crab??
DSC03597.jpgDSC03592.jpg

Thanks,
Lauren

It looks like a decorator crab. They cover themselves with all sorts of things. He looks like he is wearing Versace. Cool photo. Thanks

The Sargassum crab hides by coloration not by a seaweed look. Decorator crabs have a more substantial body. I'll check my books and see if I can find something.

Here are two crabs, I found on a night dive in front of SCC in April. One shot when they were still another while moving. They just disappear. Fun to find and watch. I spotted these guys because they were moving into the current.

Cozumel4-13--233_zps02745ada.jpg
Cozumel4-13--234_zpsa0d1cfdf.jpg

They just disappear. Fun to find and watch.

I saw several of them too- they were fun- they just kinda backed into the sand and were gone.

Thanks for the help- the only decorators I've seen haven't been quite this well "decorated" and have been bigger. The DM said in 27 years of diving he'd never seen anything like it.

I checked my books and I may be wrong, my reef guide has some species of Decorator Crabs with spindle shaped bodies. It also could be a Neck Crab which is closely related. I think you would need to strip off the camo to tell for sure.

Nice find.

Decorator arrow crabs will have a small body, long legs and long claws.

Back
Top Bottom