Cozumel's Aqua Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

last year few my friends dived with them.
This year I am going with them April 10th -17th if that answeres your questions

I just got back from a dive with them. Excellent people. We did Planacar reef and another shallower dive. Ask to go to Planacar. It's a great dive. Lots of swim unders and narrow passages that were a lot of fun to dive. We saw a few rays, a nurse shark, a few turtles and tons of other fish.

big operator with large boats. Do a search and you'll find many opinions on that and many other operators.

Ditto, large boats. My son did his first post open water class dives with Aqua Safari. They required an extensive checkout to make sure of his skills and then watched closely until they were satisified that he was going to do well. I was suprised that they did this, but was glad they did. It gave me an opportunity to make certain we were on the same page regarding procedures. The dives were to a planned depth for a planned time unless someone was low on air. I felt that they provided a good experience for him.

The second trip he did the AOW course with a smaller operation (Aldora) and has become an excellent recreational diver.

dnhill

Small is beautiful. This day and age, we are a small operation.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 02:06 PM ----------

big operator with large boats. Do a search and you'll find many opinions on that and many other operators.

Small is beautiful. This day and age, we are a small operator.

4 boats and I think that I have this right: One with capacity for 16 divers; 2 with capacity for 12 divers; 1 with capacity for 8 divers. All boats have heads and dive platforms for giant stride entry. With the exception of the smallest boat, which is staffed only by its captain & a DM, they staff with captain, mate and 2 DM's. Rather than split the divers into smaller groups with 1 DM per, they use a "lead" DM and a "sweep/safety" DM for all of the divers on the boat. They do check people they don't know to make sure they are comfortable in the water and know what they're doing. The DM's have long experience here and work hard to make every dive special for everyone. They do not rush their divers. The groups tend to string out quite a ways along the reef which seems to suit everyone's tastes. Low airs ascend as buddy pairs under the guidance of a DM while the others continue the dive plan. Tanks are AL80's. Nitrox is available.
The main complaint I have heard is that the boats are slow to get to and from the southern sites. I will confirm that they are much slower than "fast" boats but they're also much more comfortable! Personally, I don't mind this because I enjoy being on the water, it allows more time for me to wake up in the morning, and gives me more social time with fellow divers.
All in all, I think that Aqua Safari does an excellent job. Its incredible record of safe diving and its longevity in Cozumel, as well as its consistent support for marine protection and education make it an operator worth our support.

I was on the El Cantil pier this morning with my divers waiting for the boat to pick them up! It warmed my heart to see Aqua Safari back in their rightful place at the Palace! I even got a kiss through the fence from Freddy and Angel :) Love the Aqua Safari staff and crew - if I could steal them away I would :) (no - I wouldn't replace Pedro or Nivo - we'd just be one big happy family - hahaha)

Since Aqua Safari may read this...and it appears that a thread they recently posted is gone.....what is up with them?

What is the situation at the Palace?

Are they still using the downtown pier?

At the Palace, how much of the Palace bucks can you apply towards diving with the in-house dive op?

They claim smaller is better and I do not understand what they mean by that.

Since Aqua Safari may read this...and it appears that a thread they recently posted is gone.....what is up with them?

What is the situation at the Palace?

Are they still using the downtown pier?

At the Palace, how much of the Palace bucks can you apply towards diving with the in-house dive op?

They claim smaller is better and I do not understand what they mean by that.

Nothing has changed other than they are back at The Palace and Palace has purchased the boats and shop! Bill handed over the reigns, but the staff and management remain in tact with the same boats, service, location, etc.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom