Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back last night from my first ever dive trip to Cozumel. I will try and post a few pictures later after I clean some of the smell from my clothes. We went down last Wednesday and Continental lost all of my dive gear and clothes until Saturday. We left on Sunday. With all due respect to Continental pilots and flight attendants, the rest of your company is not up to the same standards, but that is usual in this business. Note to all. When they print a bag tag they DO NOT scan it (although I do not understand how the computer that prints it cannot scan it also) and they DO NOT care. For Jay in Lost Baggage )&^* You, For the Austin agents )&(^& You too.
BTW, I never lost my temper in this whole matter with any of these folks.
However I digress.

After completeing all of my previous dives in Lake Travis, my first giant stride into the waters of Cozumel with my rental equipment and no wetsuit, was WOW! Several things crossed my mind in rapid fire. I could see, and there is current. I was finally able to get a wetsuit that would fit on my next to last day and my regular wetsuit for my last dive. We did seven dives total including a night dive at Paradise Reef. Planacar Gardens with the coral formations and swim throughs was, well words can't describe my thoughts. I cannot wait to go back.

One last thought about the whole trip. My son came away with a new found respect for the people of the area. Damage was obvious to the reefs even down at 80 feet and above the water was terrible. Many trees without leaves, blown down, houses and buildings without roofs,windows etc. The one thing that struck us was how the people just buckled down, accepted any help with gratitude and got to work fixing things for themselves. I just didn't see (although it has been a while since Wilma and things have progressed) the "What is the government going to do for us" syndrome like in New Orleans. Refreshing and made me more than willing to pay a little extra to help out.

BTW, to the Swamp Diver that talked to my son last night on Continental 1533 from Houston to Austin, I wish I could have met you. He didn't tell me that he spoke to you until we were on the way home.

We dove with Carib Divers and had two dive masters, Juan and Alan. My goal is to be able to dive like that. So little movement and wasted energy.

Great to hear that that you had a good time, despite the baggage snafu. Even better to hear that you enjoyed the diving, since I'm heading there, next month!

It can only get better. I talked with people that have been there many years and they talked about the damage. I could see it myself but still it was awesome. Can't wait to go back.

Aggie Dad, good to hear that the diving was good, my wife and I are heading down in April. Hope the shore diving at Caribe Blu was not totaly destroyed, oh well hope for the best. Would like to see the photos.

Thanks for the post Aggie Dad. It actually prompted me to check out my homeowner's insurance on my dive gear when I travel. I am covered, and only have to do a few things to make sure I can get paid if US Airways loses anything. Lord knows US Airways doesn't offer enough coverage for what I am hauling to Grand Cayman!!!

Good photos, AggieDad. Thanks for sharing.

Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom