cozumel vs. grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

misdmnr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are planning our winter destination. We have been to Coz the last two years running and have absolutely no complaints, but are curious about Grand Cayman. So we are asking for opinions on which place has better diving. We are after lots of diversity with corals and fish. What are the potential for big fish in Grand Cayman? We did a phenom dive in Coz last year with eagle rays. Just looking for experiences underwater and with Dive shops in Grand Cayman. If we do Coz again we will use Dive with Martin as we have found no better dive op there. Thanks in advance I look forward to your reviews. BTW dive trip will be mid to late January.

Both location have GREAT diving, however I would give the edge to Cozumel for reef life. However, if you have never dove GC, I think you should give it a shot. The Island is great topside as well!

That's the prob...the desire to seek new dive destinations vs knowing the excellent diving in Coz and fear of being disappointed somewhere else. Also Coz has Wet Wendy's Margarita House a fab tiki bar that is known for it's divers crowd and gigantic margaritas. I have been to Roatan and would like to go back there again someday also. I would prefer something all inclusive if possible (Coz we know well enuf we can go non AI), and not looking to spend a lot for drinks, entertainment and NOT there to shop! We are a diving couple that loves a safe island to go out and mingle with the locals and go off the beaten path...I by rule avoid touristy businesses.

GC is about as safe any place you could ever visit. GC also has whatever you want from a dive destination. You have the main dive shops along 7 mile beach, which has all the luxury hotels and shopping also. Or there is an AI on the east end (I cant remember the name). It's secluded, quite, and is a divers resort. There are dozens and dozens of dive sites that could take weeks to see them all. There is also the islands of little cayman and cayman brac which I have been told have great diving but none of the commercialization that GeorgeTown on GC does.

You gotta visit Grand Cayman. It's totally different diving than the typical Coz drift dive. There are officially 365 dive sites around Grand Cayman, so you could stay there a year and visit each one. If you don't like shopping/night life, the east end would suit you or you could stay at Cobalt Coast and dive with DiveTech. Last time we were there we overheard on the radio from one of the dive boats that they saw 5 hammer head on a dive.

Again, they are both great, but totally different. So if/when you go to GC do not pre-set your expectations based on Coz.

I am waiting to see what my other half wants to do. He has a time share so it may end up boiling down to availability and airfare. Will have to check out cheaptickets.com and see what comes up. I'm sure either way it will be a great time.

Watch for special airfare deals. We just snagged two round trip tickets to GCM from ATL for $405 each (less $100 for AMEX point, for $305 each)

Back
Top Bottom