Cozumel Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-K

Reaction score
:) We just got back from Cozumel and Cancun yesterday. We dove Palancar Gardens, Las Palmas, Chacanaab Bolones, and Paradise Reef with Papa Hogs. We also did a two tank dive with "Hidden Worlds" in cenotes just North of Tulum in the Riviera Maya - Dos Ojos and the "Bat Cave".

Palancar Gardens: The heighth of the coral formations were the most impressive of our 4 dives. A few swim thrus. The coral appeared more brown, less colorful - probably because of the depth (60 ft.). The marine life wasn't bad, but was the least impressive of the 4 dives.

Las Palmas Wall: A shallow wall dive of about 35 to 40 ft. This area had the largest abundance of large colorful fish. Parrot fish, Tangs, several colorful varieties of Trigger fish, a large Trunk fish, and gorgeous Huge French and Queen Angelfish. Also saw two very large groupers and a 6" orange sea horse.

Chacanaab bolones: The most interesting non-fish sea life of the 4 dives. Saw a huge lobster and crab, both close to 3 ft. (long and wide, resp.) An eel (again about 3 ft. long) and a sea turtle which I was able to swim right over and grab a good picture.

Paradise Reef: Had lots of colorful fish too. Many of the varieties mentioned above as well as large schools of grunts. The reef and sponges probably had more color due to the shallower depth of about 30 ft. A little too much boring sand in between the coral formations though.

Dos Ojos: Cavern diving is a must experience for any diver. Dos Ojos was first - a good dive to start with. Caves with stalagtites and stalagmites lead to other cenotes - one where we surfaced was a large half-domed opening in the jungle where two Mexican girls were swimming.

Bat Cave: More intricate limestone formations with several limestone columns up to 12 ft high where stalagtites ran into stalagmites. Experienced a Halokline (where fresh and salt water meet) quite the visual phenomenon - everything got blurry. Saw a small cave shrimp.

Snorkeling off the shore near Park Royal (were we stayed) and La Ceiba we saw the plane. A twin engine - which flipped upside down in the last hurricane. Basically a large wing - not sure where the fuselage went. There were parrotfish with one memmorable one - very large all blue parrotfish with a bulbous head and a suckerfish attached to its underside. Also, a loan barracuda sat still in the middle of the small bay.

I just spent 10 days there (with Plaza Las Glorias/ Dive Paradise). I'll post a report soon. Did you go into town at all? If you did, we might have bumped into each other. I was amazed at how often I saw the same people on the reef, on the boat, in town, in a bar, on the other side of the island, et.

:guitar:

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had fun. I leave in one week!!! Looking forward to it. :D :D :D

Sounds like I depart on a dive trip about the same time as you do.

So, let me take this opportunity to wish you a dive riot on Coz.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Sharkman: We only went in to town once. We went to Carlos and Charlies during the day. I guess staying at an all-inclusive ties you down a bit. How was the night life down there?

Thanks for the detail Diver-K. We were down in Cancun and Cozumel last Nov and did a lot of snorkelling. As newly certified divers, we are looking forward to going back since we've heard nothing but awesome diving!

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Sounds like I depart on a dive trip about the same time as you do.

So, let me take this opportunity to wish you a dive riot on Coz.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Where you headed Doc?

Night Life- well, in my opionion you get the best of both worlds. I am less into partying now (Wow, thoght I'd NEVER say that) but I have done my share. I don't like being around a bunch of crazy partiers andy more. We did notice Carlos and Charlies got pretty crazy a couple of nights. We walked by almost every night as we walked to dinner, we did notice it was kind of dead on Fri, Sat and Sun (no cruise ships). We went in to have a beer one night... and it was nuts.

The rest of town is pretty quiet. Yes, a lot of shoppers, but I thought being spring break it would be crazier. I was actually relieved.

I think if you want to party, it is available. If you want to meet women/ men, it's available. If that is what you are looking for, I'd go to Cancun though for obvious reasons. But, if you want to relax in peace and quiet, it's also available. When the ships are not in, you will notice a big difference. It gets more relaxed. The locals smile at you more. It is more peaceful. We were in town during the busiest and deadest times, and we had a great time during both.

:guitar:

Diver-K once bubbled...
Sharkman: We only went in to town once. We went to Carlos and Charlies during the day. I guess staying at an all-inclusive ties you down a bit. How was the night life down there?

Wow - Only in Town once? I can't imagine that. There are soooo many great places off the beach, and on the beach for that matter. Next time you go (And there will be a next time, we all do it) explore downtown. Rent a jeep and take a day trip around the Island. There are sooo many great spots to visit and take picture of. I go the second week of June and I'll post pic's if you want.

So when are ya gonna go next???

Oh - I prefer Fat Tuesday's over C 'n C's... I like to sit outside in the plaza and people watch. Look out for Dain Bramage though! It'll sneak up on ya!

Park Royal is an all inclusive. We drank "free" beer all night on the beach and crashed pretty early to get up early for diving the next day. I kind of regret not going in to town. My wife wasn't too interested. Next time we probably won't do the all-inclusive. We're in our mid-30's now so we've done the partying thing - we just needed to relax.

Back
Top Bottom