Cozumel trip report Feb/Mar - Long w/photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Trip report for Cozumel Feb 19 - Mar 2 2013.

I am including quite a few photos as I could not decide which ones to cut. Lot's of pics.

We had good weather with no rain almost the entire time but did get some stronger south winds on a few days mid trip and only one port closure on Mar 1 with rain the evening before but that was a non-diving day for my wife and I. Our friends who dove on the 1st got one dive in then the boat headed back to port.

We dove with bottomtimedivers.net. Raul is great at finding all kinds of things. He knows where the seahorses live as well as other critters.

Our dive sites were divers choice on the boat so while some had requests we generally picked areas where there were not many boats. Sometimes we do the end of one dive and the beginning of another to avoid other dive groups.

The water was a little chilly. My dive computer read max temp of 81F just about every day but I think that was a boat temp. I have not yet downloaded my dive computer. I speculate the temp was more around 77 to 78F. It was warmer at
depth generally (or so it seemed to me).

We took a trip up North early in the trip to Eagle Ray Station and we were not disappointed. We did the same dive twice. The first dive had two Eagle Ray groups of about 9 and 12 and the second dive had a few groups of 2 to 3 and one large group of about 24. I stopped counting. They large group could have been the same from the first dive that circled around. My friend from Canada has a great video of the group of 24.

The current at any site the entire time was not bad and very manageable - even slow or non-existent at times.

We went into town several times and for my wife's birthday. We ate at Guidos and Primas. I guess we like Italian. Our group did some shopping (wife's birthday) in the evening and really liked not having the cruise ship people around. The girls wanted to get Starbucks coffee as they were running low in our rooms.

Eagle Rays
Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_008rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_021r1c.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_024rc.jpg

Incoming!!!!
Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_025rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_026rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_027rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Eagle_Ray_030rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Green_Moray_Eel_004rc.jpg

This Eel we found at the end of a dive and had two groupers that seemed to be trying to corner the eel. The eel got past the groupers and swam through the swimthroughs and we lost site of it many times but we just had to follow the groupers to find it again. At the end of all the swimthroughs the eel tried to get at some lobsters but they fended it off after many attempts.

Coz_Feb_2013_Green_Moray_Eel_035rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Hawksbill_Turtle_007rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Longsnout_Seahorse_007rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Longsnout_Seahorse_016rc.jpg

I could not get this guy to come out. I was concerned about putting the lens too close. I am not sure if a Mantis Shrimp could crack the housing or lens.

Coz_Feb_2013_Mantis_Shrimp_002rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Banded_Coral_Shrimp_001rc.jpg

On two differnet dives the same Nurse Shark got very friendly. Like bumping us friendly. The third shark shown just did not move.

Coz_Feb_2013_Nurse_Shark_007rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Nurse_Shark_024rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Nurse_Shark_017rc.jpg

Coz_Feb_2013_Trumpetfish_001r1c.jpg

those are verryyyy nice pics...colors look very true. thanks for sharing

Awesome report very nicely paired with those great pictures. Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a Trip report - I enjoyed it very much!

Thanks CD for posting a trip report and including the awesome photos.

Nice shots. Guess I'll put some of mine up from last week. Not nearly as good as yours but I'm still in my UW photography learning curve. Once again, great job.

Thanks for sharing your shots!

The groupers are hunting with the eel. They are waiting for the eel to flush some prey from the protection of the reef so they can snag it. They sometimes hunt with nurse sharks, too.

If you see a couple or a few coneys hanging out around one small area, acting excited, chances are if you investigate you can find their little eel hunting buddy.

Love fish behavior... :love3:

Thanks for posting, nice pictures.
Where did you stay and how was that?

We stayed at what used to be called Reef Regency (Club). It is now called Sunscapes and is lumped in together with the Sabor hotel (Old Wyndham) and next to Aura and Sabor Exclusive which is now part of the Secrets chain. Basically we have a timeshare.

I think the property is pretty much the same as always with some minor changes as always happens. Good beach and the entire set of properties was very crowded as opposed to Feb 2012. Seems they were making a marketing push this time. Food is generally average but we are not foodies so ok with us. Specialy restaurants and Aura generally have better food. Breakfasts are good at the buffet. There is quite alot of remodeling going on also across all properties

We do like to stay south so the boat rides are not long and the reefs close. It's more expensive for taxi's to town and the Caleta. btw when we went North to dive and meet our boat at the Caleta, it was $15 for four from hotel to Caleta and $12 coming back. I sure would like some consistency and have not seen the fare/zone sheet in years.

thnx for sharing

Back
Top Bottom