Cozumel trip report and why i will ONLY dive with Aldora divers when i go back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liang and Shariff are both very calm, patient and competant. Shariff certified my girlfriend, who needed his calm reassuring manner, and his Fabio like style. However, in my opinion,Edgar is Aldoras best. He is very dedicated and I believe he represents the image of a Cozumel Dive Professional. Some shops use transient DM's or hire people who are living the beach bum lifestyle. Not Aldora. I have been diving with Edgar for the last five years. My son has been diving with him since he was 12 and is considering a summer internship with Aldora either this summer or next. I have had only good experiences with the other Dm's as well Mateo, Raul and even a newly certified DM on a night dive. And even though both El Presidente and I have dove with Memo, I prefer Edgar. Sorry Memo.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Edgar has something like 12,000 dives or something like that doesn't he?

Edgar has something like 12,000 dives or something like that doesn't he?

12,000 dives... I think you are thinking of Memo (Bill) LaRossa.... Not to be confused with Memo Mendosa who now runs the shop for/with Dave.
Mr LaRossa has dive time that can can literally be measured in years, if, you care to do the math. There is a BW photo of him in the Aldora shop sitting on the C-53 the day it was sunk.
Both are great DM's. I didn't post to compare the two as they have two very different personalities. Mr LaRossa, last I spoke with him, was still available to DM through Aldora if you want to dive with him. His time is often spent between Cozumel and the south pacific where he owns a home with his lady friend. Bill taught me many good things/habits as a new diver that I still use today.
As with most dive ops DM's have come and gone and some come back once again. Aldora has gone (I think) out of their way to keep the good ones.Not that there is a bad DM at Aldora. Dang, I've had some really, really ,really great dives with Edgar. Diving is supposed to be fun and Liang is always having fun and making sure we have fun too.

I just returned from a 16 day, 34 dive trip to Coz using Aldora Divers and staying at Villa Aldora ( Villa Aldora ). Liang is by far the best DM I've ever had. Her briefings are just as wonderful as the OP described. All the other Aldora DM's were great, but she's a great one with a wonderful passion for showing the beauty of each site. There were never any surprises about dive plan, max depth, route, entry or exit procedures. She allowed those who like to "poke around" to do so thereby enhancing their individual dive experiences.

Aldora Divers sets the standard in Cozumel and everyone who dives with them knows how a top notch dive op should be run. When diving elsewhere I always compare procedures and quality to Aldora.

Liang has taken the place of Sherief as my favorite Aldora DM. Sherief was amazing as well, but he has moved on to other pastures (anyone know where?). I also heard he had a motorcycle crash and broke both legs or something. Tried to find him on this last trip to no avail.

I saw Shariff a couple of times last week, though didn't get to talk to him. Still on crutches. left leg out of cast. right leg still in brace. doing physical therapy to regain range of motion of knee.
I "heard" a lady T-boned him while he was riding is motorcycle, BUT can't confirm how it happened. I'm just glad his well on his way to being back in the water. Still a bit away, but headed in that direction.

Thanks for the Sherief update! Glad to hear he's being seen around. Yep, t-boned on his bike.

Your post makes me crazy! I am so ready to be back at the Villa and back under an Aldora boat - especially with Liang.
Which room did you have at the Villa? How were things there?

Hi Joe! I see you are on, too...

WELL, we booked the Kristal Room, but it was occupied when we got there. So, my wife and I had to endure 13 nights in the Aldora Suite !!!. Sweet it was !! Moved down to the Kristal for the last 3 nights. Planning on a lengthy stay in September , booking Barracuda room for that one (if work schedule can be figured out).

this was our 9 trip to Coz, but first stay at the Villa. We will stay there from now on. Steve was a wonderful host. Dave was there the first week and I enjoyed visiting with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom