Cozumel & Sunscreen: Look at what some Hawaii hotels are doing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just reading a thread in this forum on sunscreen and noticed the article in the LA Times.

Don't pack sunscreen on your next trip to Hawaii. These hotels will make sure you're covered

It's interesting to see hotels that are making safe sunscreen dispensers available on their properties. I wonder if any Cozumel hotels do that (or might do that). Efforts like that could be part of a good marketing campaign. Yeah. I know. It's Cozumel...but still....

Searching biodegradable sunscreen will give lots of results. Doesn't everyone use a biodegradable sunscreen? If not, please do. Look at the ingredients though. Some that are advertised as biodegradable have a list of chemicals in them that most mortals cannot pronounce. It's highly unlikely under those circumstances that they are they are in fact, biodegradable.

Edit to add: They are more expensive. Buying them on-line makes them much more affordable. We're big fans of Tropical Sands by Mexitan.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was kind of hoping to focus on the hotel taking the initiative to provide dispensers on its properties for eco-friendly sunscreen free of charge.

I was just reading a thread in this forum on sunscreen and noticed the article in the LA Times.

Don't pack sunscreen on your next trip to Hawaii. These hotels will make sure you're covered

It's interesting to see hotels that are making safe sunscreen dispensers available on their properties. I wonder if any Cozumel hotels do that (or might do that). Efforts like that could be part of a good marketing campaign. Yeah. I know. It's Cozumel...but still....

Blue XT~Sea provides biodegradable
Sunscreen on the boats - we have for quite awhile actually.

Big difference in the price you pay for a room on Maui to what you pay on Coz. I don't see anything changing. ^^^That's cool of you Christi.

The Eco parks (xel-ha, xplor, etc.) on the mainland "supposedly" gives out packets of reef-safe sunscreen to park goers after they've confiscated your "reef-unsafe" sunscreens. My experience is that they're stingy about it. My husband and I had to share a small sample packet between the two of us, and that was after "begging" for it. We just gave up and bought a full bottle at the gift shop. No way that packet was even enough for one person. My point is, if they're gonna be passing them out, don't be cheap about it. Otherwise, just don't even bother.

Totally agree more needs to be done to protect the reefs since so many people pass through those parks every day.

Kudos to Blue XT Sea!

I have a stupid question.

At depths deeper than 10 ft., is sunscreen needed ?
no but it might be required for the boat ride out to the site.

No need for sunscreen here - 3P's boats have full-length sun tops providing full coverage (nice to stay out of the rain as well!). I know, I know, what about the reflected rays from the water... Can't say I've ever experienced a sunburn under a sun top from reflected rays and I've been on boats for 30+ years.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom