Cozumel shots from Jan 28 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
On the beach in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
I thought I would share some shots from my recent trip to Cozumel. I enhanced the colors a bit with Photoshop. These were all taken with the Nikkor 12-24 lens under an 8 inch dome port. Hope you enjoy!

DSC_297301342ModifiedLargeMedium.jpg

DSC_294001012LargeMedium.jpg

DSC_296901302LargeMedium.jpg

DSC_297501362ModifiedLargeMedium.jpg

Great shots. Can you let us know what you adjusted on Photoshop? My images always turn out too bluish.
Dive safely.

EvaL:
Great shots. Can you let us know what you adjusted on Photoshop? My images always turn out too bluish.
Dive safely.

Thanks EvaL,
I get alot of photos that are slighly overexposed in the lighter areas like the sand or silt on the reef. I use the "darken highlights" feature to to soften the overexposure. On these photos I increased the midtone contrast just a little and it helped bring out the colors. On these particular shots I found the the "smart fix" tool worked pretty well.

Here is an example of the first shot before and after PS:

Before Photoshop:
DSC_297301342Medium.jpg

After Photoshop:
DSC_297301342ModifiedLargeMedium.jpg

(On the second shot I may have added a little too much red)

By the way, are you using a strobe with your camera?

Thanks charris, the difference between the photos is dramatic. I can sure use "darken highlights" and adjusting the levels on my photos.
I use a slave strobe (SeaLife SL960D with adjustable intensity), and I often overexpose the photos even with it set on low.

Nice Pics!, a bit too much push on the color IMHO, but heck, I do that too sometimes....

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

EvaL,
By the way, I was mistaken about increasing the color using midtone contrast. The color was enhanced by increasing the saturation. I am still just a rookie with Photoshop.

RockyHeap,
I agree on the color push. It does look a bit Nuclear. I hurt by back recently and I think I found the enhanced colors a bit too entertaining while I was under the influence of muscle relaxers :D. Here is a toned down version.

DSC_297300012.jpg

On this filefish photo I just darkened the highlights very slightly. That is pretty close to his natural color.
DSC_294000012.jpg

DSC_297501362.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing the rest of the Cozumel shots, they are here:
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/chrisandchristine/2007 Cozumel/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom