COZUMEL: Ready or not, here I come

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend Advanced Diving with Simone Rossini. You can check him out on Facebook. He is an experienced photographer and videographer. He has taken and produced commercially available videos on diving in Cozumel. I am sure he would arrange to do private dive trips with just you. He is also an instructor and I know he can help you with buoyancy issues. You will have an amazing trip with Simone.

Great! Tell him hi from Jerry and Julie. He will know who we are. We always went diving with him on our numerous trips to Cozumel.

you might just never leave.

Where will you be staying? Everything is aligned along the west coast looking across to the lights of Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. The town center is where the activity is. Just to the north of the town is the airport. North of that are condos and hotels. If you are up there everything is a 5 minute taxi ride or 20-60 minute walk to town along the coast road. There is a sidewalk and even a bike lane for most of this.

About 2 miles south of the town is a cruise port. This is a fake town designed to efficiently transfer money from cruise tourists back to the cruise companies, a handful of international corporations and the Mexican government. A few cents on every dollar even finds its way into the local economy. There are also cruise ship piers in the main town, which means you have to put up with a few blocks of touts and souvenir stalls if you walk along the waterfront road.

South of the cruise piers is the port from which the dive boats leave. More on this later. Even further south are the larger resorts. The most commonly dived reefs are off this southern part of the island.

Most of the independent business including dive shops and restaurants, along with the main grocery stores are in town. Unless you are in an all inclusive or like to nest in your hotel, you will be spending a lot of time and money in taxis if you are staying elsewhere.

The next question is where you meet your dive boat. It's unlikely anyone will pick you up at the northern hotels unless you are chartering an entire boat and are willing to pay for that service. The main exception is Aldora Divers will pick up their divers staying at Villa Aldora. They may pick you up as well, you would need to work it out in advance.

Some ops will pick you up in town, either at your waterfront hotel or one of the small town piers. If you are staying in town and your op won't get you, then you'll need to taxi to the port. Again some ops will arrange the taxis, others leave it to you.

Almost all ops will pick you up at your hotel dock if you are staying south of the port since they are heading that way anyway. But, as always, get it confirmed in writing before you put the money down on a multi-day booking.

Finally, all the larger resorts have a house dive operator. This is the most convenient way to go, especially if you want to do more than the standard two dives per day. But the quality of the ops varies. Search through this forum or ask if you have a question about a specific op.

I've done three trips to Coz. The first time at a southern resort using the house op, the second at a condo on the water in town where we were picked up by an independent op (Pelagic Adventures), and the third staying north of town and diving with Aldora. I wasn't at Villa Aldora, but was nearby and was able to be picked up there when they had diving guests. The other days and for the one night dive I did I walked to town and was picked up there.

The in-town option was my favorite by far. But the next time I go, I'm going to want to combine some shore diving in addition to the morning boat trip which means I'll probably stay at Villa Aldora or one of the few southern hotels that offers it.

Thanks for the great info!

I'll actually be staying at an AirBnB in Playa del Carmen, doin' the ferry thang...

I contacted Pelagic 2 days ago, through their website...but have NOT heard back yet, which I thought was a bit odd, considering there are NO cruise ships operating and tourism must still be at an all-time low...So...we'll see, but they have come highly recommended.

Thanks again.

I'll actually be staying at an AirBnB in Playa del Carmen, doin' the ferry thang...
That's a really bad idea. I mean really, really bad. You still be adding a huge hassle, big expense, unnecessary discomfort, large exposure to Covid, and it will massively complicate your diving itinerary.

Well, I've been in Mexico since August... Cabo, then PV for 3 months...Coming originally from L.A...

I actually did check out Cozumel, in depth.

Do you have any idea what a hotel or an "all-inclusive" hotel would cost, FOR A MONTH?

Yes, that was rhetorical? LoL... So, how could I possibly stay in Coz for a month, while still paying for diving 2\3 days a week.?

What unnecessary discomfort are you referring to? And as far as Covid is concerned, if you have any sure-fire methods of preventing infection, I'd love to hear about it, as I'm sure would the CDC! LOL

I realize I'll have the ferry costs, but other than that, I don't see any real negatives with staying in PdC...

But, if I'm missing something, I'm open to ideas. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom