Cozumel pronunciation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubalou

Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound really stupid but... Is it Cose a mel or Caus a mel. The locals seem to say it more with a long o but most americans like to say it like the latter.

some I know including myself pronounce it KOZ OO MEL

but I have heard a local in Coz teach that the proper pronounciation is KOZ U MIEL

But I think you missed the point of the question. In the first syllable, is the O a long O sound (like in oh)? Or is it a short O sound (like in ah)?

I think in Spanish, all the O sounds are a long O. But I hear most americans pronounce it with a short O sound.

I had 6 years of Spanish in school. I can barely do anything with it now, other then say food things and hello and goodbye.
But I do know this...
It should be a long O, but yes, everyone I know including me, in the midwest says it wrong.
I don't know why this is, but we do.
However, most Americans in Texas that I have talked, to say it right. (Although Texas is, it's own country)
So it might just be our midwest accents that make us say it wrong.

Are you speaking English or Spanish? Mexico is pronounced differently in English and Spanish. Why should Cozumel be the same in both languages?

That's true.
How do you say it, Walter?

Natasha,

That depends on my mood, sorta like Caribbean - Care a be' in - Ka rib' e in. I rarely know how it will come out until I hear it. I don't concern myself with it.

This discussion reminds me of this fellow who was confused on how to pronounce "Hawaii" - so he asked someone who appeared to be a local, "Excuse me, sir, but is the correct pronunciation of these Islands 'hah wah ee' or 'hah vah ee'?"
"hah vah ee" said the local.
"Thank you" said the tourist.
"You're velcome"...
E. itajara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom