Cozumel Pics, Part 1 - Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AUTiger

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm finally processing/uploading the pics from last month's trip to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. In PDC, we dove Chac Mool/Kukulkan and Dos Ojos.

I'll have to check my notes, but I think that this is Kukulkan.

DSC_3171.jpg

This photos shows the halocline (interface of fresh water and salt water). The fresh water sits on top of the salt water, like water over oil. The interface between the two is noticeable, but subtle. When a diver swims through the interface zones, their fins kick up turbulance, mixing the two waters, making a very blurry zone. You'll think that your eyes are going crazy since everything is blurry and you can't focus. It really tricks the camera. In this photos, there are areas that are in and out of focus. For better visibility, we swam in a "v" formation like geese, so each diver's head was outside of the water stirred up by the diver in front of them.

DSC_3184.jpg

In one room at Dos Ojos, there is a dome with air above the water. A long time ago, a tree root grew down from the top of the cave until it touched the water. It eventually grew into a trunk with a root ball just below the water surface.

DSC_3333.jpg

Heading down into the cenote

DSC_3226.jpg

The termination of the "Barbie Line" at Dos Ojos

DSC_2846.jpg

The entrance

DSC_3017_cc.jpg

A random cenote picture

DSC_2831.jpg

I was shooting my D80 in an Ikelite housing, Tokina 12-24 lens in an 8" dome, and dual DS-125s. This was my first time in such an environment, so I had a bit of learning to do with the camera. I used the modeling lights on the 125s and took a few test shots to confirm that the picture show whatever the modeling lights were illuminating. After that, I didn't have to look through the viewfinder. Just point the modeling lights at something and pull the trigger. It worked very well.

David

Great stuff, David. Really like the first one with the Sun rays and backlighting.

Oh, brings back such great memories!

Going back in October, and it can't come soon enough.

Beautiful photos! All the times I have swam in cenotes all over the Yucatan when I lived ther -- and yet never underwater. Does make one want to go back!

WOW!!! amazing pictures.
I'm off to Playa Del Carmen early September...any good operations you might recommend diving the Cenotes with?
Thanks.

Beautiful, did you do a cave dive course before you got there? Not a spot of stir up in the photos. Really nice Dave, Really nice

We dove with Yucatek and were quite happy. One of my other friends has also used them a couple of time. I think our guide was names Stephan.

They're a good operation. They also run a good whaleshark outing.

Yucatek Divers

Let them know that I steered you there way if you book with them.

David Anderson
Temecula, California

Hi Cheddar

There is no need for basic cenote diving. Its cavern diving, not cave diving. For the basic trips, you're always within sight of light (the surface). For cave certified divers, you can do more technical penetrations - or work on getting your certifications.

As long as you aren't claustrophobic, the basic dives are very easy.

David

CheddarChick:
Beautiful, did you do a cave dive course before you got there? Not a spot of stir up in the photos. Really nice Dave, Really nice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom