Cozumel Paradise Reef Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fridmani

Reaction score
Hi, This question is from a lowly snorkeler (make raspberry sound now).

I've read different opinions on whether Paradise Reef is safe to snorkel from shore. I snorkeled there eight years ago (before half the reef was destroyed for a pier) and it was fabulous. Is it still fabulous?

How about saftey. I've read that boats and current are a problem. I've hear the reefs start 30 or 40 yards from shore. Am I going to get run over by a six pack boat if I snorkel at Paradise? I also think that me crashing into a cruise ship would be a bad thing! Is it difficult to swim against the current wearing only snorkel gear?

I was planning on snorkeling Paradise, but I may wimp out and do Dzul-Ha or Villa Blanca Shallows (which is better?). Then beer can make up for lack of reef.

Thanks!

Mike

PS. All of this is AFTER the boat snorkeling at Columbia and Palancar.

Whether it's easy or not to swim against the current depends, of course, on the strength of the current, and I've seen a lot of variability in the current on Paradise Reef. There will usually be someone diving there from boats, though not as much in the afternoon as in the morning. It's still a pretty popular dive site.

Is there access to the water there between El Presidente and the docks?

Yes there is a put in. You go back to the marina. Hang a right through the gate and then park on the left. See map on link.

Paradise Map

ggunn:
Whether it's easy or not to swim against the current depends, of course, on the strength of the current, and I've seen a lot of variability in the current on Paradise Reef. There will usually be someone diving there from boats, though not as much in the afternoon as in the morning. It's still a pretty popular dive site.

Is there access to the water there between El Presidente and the docks?

fridmani:
Hi, This question is from a lowly snorkeler (make raspberry sound now).
PS. All of this is AFTER the boat snorkeling at Columbia and Palancar.
Hey there fellow lowly snorkeler... my wife and I have snorkeled some around Coz.. and will be next week end. A nice beach (small) that's somewhat protected was at Playa Corazon.. way south of town. We had brought a dive flag and I would suggest you do to.. that way you can feel a little safer out there.. the boat traffic is crazy everwhere, and it will be near impossible to talk some dive shop out of a flag. We're thinking about doing a sailboat/snorkel trip maybe one day too.
I may be crazy..I'm certified scuba, have been to coz several times, but have yet to ever scuba there.. always snorkel. Snorkeling does have it's many advantages!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom