Cozumel or Costa Rica Dive Trip July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarianAnn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just looking for a little advice from anyone who has done some diving in Mexico or Costa Rica. I will be in central america in July and am travelling through both of these countries. I have 5 days set aside for diving. Any advice on where the best diving is at this time of year? For me, warm water is a must and I prefer large marine life as opposed to the little creatures! Am currently leaning towards Cozumel. However there seems to be many many options so any advice from someone who has dived in these areas would be great! :)

If you are considering both the Pacific and the Caribbean as options, I'd suggest you look at Costa Rica, and the Guanacaste area. During the summer you are more likely to be able to get out to Bat Island, for the Bull Sharks. We were in Costa Rica a couple of years ago, in May, and the water was quite warm (I think El Nino has something to do with it). Of course, we have also dived in Cozumel numerous times, but there is a distinct difference in the diving on the Pacific side of Costa Rica and the Caribbean waters around Cozumel.

Thanks for advice; much appreciated.

Of course, we have also dived in Cozumel numerous times, but there is a distinct difference in the diving on the Pacific side of Costa Rica and the Caribbean waters around Cozumel.

Might be heading down to Costa Rica in May/June what would you say is the difference between the Pacific side of Costa Rica and Cozumel diving?

Might be heading down to Costa Rica in May/June what would you say is the difference between the Pacific side of Costa Rica and Cozumel diving?

This is from my response to a thread on Top Three Dives, in which I rank this #2:

"The Bat Islands, Costa Rica

Why? The Bull Sharks at the Big Scare, and plus the swirling balls of fish as you circle Black Rock, and then you never know what else you will see, either on the surface or underneath it."

On the Pacific side of Costa Rica, it is not unusual to see Moray Eels, of all sizes and colors, in multiples on most dives, and sometimes two or three in one hole or crevasse. Also, big Puffers and Stars are everywhere, and it is not unusual to see sharks on many of the dives. The structure isn't like the coral pinnacles of Cozumel, in that it is more volcanic-looking (lots of grey-appearing rock). Finally, we've never experienced the current for drift dives on the Pacific side, as we have during many of our dives in Cozumel. Not that drift diving is a bad thing, it's just another element that is different.

One other thing, from our last dive trip to Costa Rica, is that we found the water to be unusually warm (80+ F) on every dive (which I think is due to El Nino, but I am not a meteorologist).

Hope this helps!

Both!

We did Catalina Island this past December off of Flamingo Beach. Plenty of fish, manta and sharks, but limited reef/color. Last year we did Cozumel and we really really liked the diving! Plenty of fish and the colors were awesome. Was 20 years since I dove Cozumel and I was impressed. Take note though, the current can be fun and challenging!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom