Cozumel in December !!! First Time have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasonic

Contributor
Reaction score
Wife just planed a trip for use for a Full 7 days at a new resort called Occidental Grand Cozumel was built in 2002... the on site dive shop is called Dive Palancar assuming this is where i will book the dive trips. This is my first trip to Cozumel and I was hoping someone that has been there from the board could fill me in on all those little things I will not know till I get there.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

-SS

Scubasonic once bubbled...
Wife just planed a trip for use for a Full 7 days at a new resort called Occidental Grand Cozumel was built in 2002... the on site dive shop is called Dive Palancar assuming this is where i will book the dive trips. This is my first trip to Cozumel and I was hoping someone that has been there from the board could fill me in on all those little things I will not know till I get there.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

-SS

You'll get a lot more response if you post your questions to Home=>Travel/Locations=>Mexico, but here's a little something to get you started:
http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html

Enjoy your trip!

hi there,

I have not been to Coz yet- I am booked for thanksgiving. We are staying at the cheaper occidental- the allegro resort and have actually just booked with dive palancar. Before you make you dive operator decision I thought I would share what I have found out in the last 3 weeks of planning.

There are tons of operators with varying differences for experienced divers. If you are advnaced divers, you might want to consider the smaller operators north in the town and go on a smaller boat.
I emailed most of the operators listed on this message board, but the proble I encountered is that they will pick you up from the dock at the occidental, but do not guarantee to drop you back. Several operators said they often drop off back at their shops in the north- then you would need to cathc a cab (with dripping ger) back south - aparently about 17bucks.
All of the operators said they do not pick up for the afteroon dives.

Obviously this is just the response I recieved, but it is somethign to consider.

We are advanced divers, but not used to drift diving- we have booked with palancar for ease and plan to do some shore diving in other sopts. Dive palancar have good reports, but they run larger boats- so if you want the more intimate dive experience, then search out the other operators.

The Occidental Grand is a great hotel. Very nice grounds, good food, great rooms.

I'm not particularly fond of Dive Palancar. Big boats with way too many people on them.

Take a look at www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/diveshopreviews/general.html

Its a good website with reviews of many operators in Cozumel. I think you will find that most of the good ones will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. The majority of great dive sites are located right off the resort hotels on the South end of the island so its very convenient to drop off and pick up. If you need a real good operator who will pick up and drop off at the Grand and runs a great small boat (6 persons max), contact Christi at www.bluextseadiving.com Both Christi and her dive master Raul are awesome.

ScubaTexas once bubbled...
The Occidental Grand is a great hotel. Very nice grounds, good food, great rooms.

I'm not particularly fond of Dive Palancar. Big boats with way too many people on them.

Take a look at www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/diveshopreviews/general.html

Its a good website with reviews of many operators in Cozumel. I think you will find that most of the good ones will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. The majority of great dive sites are located right off the resort hotels on the South end of the island so its very convenient to drop off and pick up. If you need a real good operator who will pick up and drop off at the Grand and runs a great small boat (6 persons max), contact Christi at www.bluextseadiving.com Both Christi and her dive master Raul are awesome.

Thanks I will check it out.

-SS

Ditto on Palancar.
Relax and enjoy the island.
You got to go to the French Quarter and eat a least once.
Check out the comments in the Travel locations/Mexico for dive operation comments. :doctor:

I have been to Cozumel three times in the last four years and I agree with the posting about the big boats. I had good luck with Sand Dollar sports out of the Reef Club.Aqua Safari was OK but not as good. Have Fun

Yo SS, Palancar is very nice but where your staying is bit far from town. True your hotel is close to the good reefs but far from town. I always dive with Dive Paradise and I have never had a problem. If your into fancy hotels then by all means. My lady and myself are into no frills, just good diving. For my money, The Barracuda hotel is just fine. Diving with Dive Paradise. 5 minutes walk from town. Renne Applegate and her crew of divemasters are great. Dive boats pick you right up at your door, well almost but you get the idea. I have also gone to Cozumel for 3 years in a row. Went to Bonaire & Curacao this year though. Wanted to see something different. Eating, stay off the strip on Melgar blvd. It's a rip off. For authentic cooking go INTO town. Prices are much much cheaper to. For example, on the strip your going to pay about $75.00 for dinner for 2. In town you will pay about $ 35.00 total for 2 people. So I ask you, strip or in town ? Good food & prices; Abuelo Geraldos, behind the plaza and to the left. La Parroquia, right behind the church and up some stairs. La Mission, not the one in front of the plaza,La Mission that is deep in town, it's worth it, beleive me. Also, La Choza, great food very very reasonable. Just some tips, I have been there and know a lot of people there. Always friendly and always there. That is the one thing about Cozumel, it's consistant. Dive Paradis goes to all the dive sites that Dive Palancar goes to also so you choose. Also make sure you go shopping and stock your fridge with snacks and cold water. Surface intervals will be much better with your own snacks instead of spending money every time you want something to munch on. Go to the supermarket in front of Plaza Las Glorias and make a amall grocery as soo as you do your check out dive that day. You won't regret it. Gotta go to work now. I can go on forever about Cozumel. Godd dicvin and good Viz. George. CIAO !:thumb:

Hi George:
Renee " Apple"gate is a friend of mine. Great lady, great dive op.
I personally like a full service dive operation with lots of boats.
When you go with a smaller operation, that may only have 2 boats, you take the chance of one breaking down, and the other being full.
Anyway, I second everything you said.
We stay at Plaza Las Glorias, but I see nothing wrong with the Barracuda..and it's close to that wonderful place 'Rockin Java' for morning coffee and treats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom