Cozumel group ascents ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in Cozumel for the 1st time this fall. Do operators make the divers ascent as a group because of the current ? I am pretty good on air, but my buddy is not. Looking for an operator that will let me stay down while my buddy surfaces.

Ronrosa,
Hi, and welcome to the boards.
Regarding your question, and based only on my 3 trip to Coz experience, diving with Dive House: usually the dive masters send up buddy teams when either gets low on air-up to the predetermined time limit, when the remaining divers come up as a group. The other situation occurs when a group of divers, with similar air usage ascend as a group. The current is in many cases not a factor, because the dive boats "follow bubbles"-at a safe distance, and come in to pick up each buddy team as they surface.
If you and your buddy have significant air consumption rate differences, you might consider mentioning this to the DMs-they may suggest a different buddy pairing so that you can get the max bottom time possible, or they might "re-buddy " you up if your (travel) buddy, and someone else get low on air at the same time.While these scenarios depend on chance, they might work out. Given the vis in Coz,you won't have a problem staying with your "non-buddy buddy" .
Any body else have different experiences with different operators?
Good luck,
Miked

There are some dive ops do insist everyone descend at one time but they are usually the ones who cater to the cruisers or have mostly new or inexperienced divers aboard.

What most frequently happens is the DM will send up those low on air as buddies. The boar captains are there to pick everyone up as the surface, regardless of the current. A couple of things to always remember....diving in Coz is life boat diving so a few feet from the surface, stop, look and listen for boat traffic. Ascend only when you know it is safe to do so. When you reach the surface, look for your boat and signal them...they will be looking for you as they have been watching your bubbles. If the boat needs to pick up several divers, just wait....they will get to you. Do NOT try to swim to the boat. You should always have a surface marker with you and use it, especially for those times when the surface currents may carry you a ways before the boat gets to you.

Also know the name of your dive op, the name of your dive boat and which channel frequency they use...you'd be surprised at how many people don't know this! :eek: If you get swept away from your boat...it does happen to the best...when another boat comes by, you can tell them your boats name and they can radio them with your location or pick you up and take you to the right boat.

Have a great time!

Dee and I use the same shop in COZ. They customize the dive plan for the dive site, the divers and the current. They do everything to optimize the dive and maximize safety.
Ronrosa, is it more important to get in a few more minutes on a dive than to make the commitment to being a good buddy. I would rather surface with a nearly full tank than leave my buddy alone. Beyond an equipment failure, they may need your help watching for overhead boats, being seen on the surface, and some assistance getting back onto the boat. I won't place my buddy a risk on an ascent with someone they don't know that might ascend too fast or blow off a safety stop. I try to be the buddy that I want my buddy to be to me.

Just my $.02

Be safe.

Larry

I guess I am being selfish.

I was planning on surfacing w/ my buddy the 1st few times to make sure he knows how to do a proper safety stop. If he was
comfortable with a solo ascent I would stay down with the rest of the group.

I have seen many divers do a solo ascent if they run out of air before everyone else. Particularly single divers or divers buddied w/ the DM. I have never been to Coz before, so I do not know about the boat traffic or how strong the currents are. Judging from everyone's response the boat traffic and currents sound like they could be a problem.

Hopefully my newbie buddy won't be a Hoover vacuum.

We just returned from Coz Saturday. Aldora is the best in Coz. My buddy had difficulty our first dive because of lack of diving the past several years, and she was sucking wind and so was I for trying to help. Our Divemaster and Captain was great, very attentive, and he even carried an 8ft octopus that he lent my buddy and I use for probably 15 minutes each, giving us better bottom time. If you would like read my reply on "where tostay and who to dive with in cozumel?" page 2.

My two cents here is that you should discuss air consumption when buddying up on the boat and find a buddy you feel may be closer to your usage and likewise for your friend. Your friend and their buddy need to ascend together as do you and your buddy.

Having your buddy surface without you makes you a cr@ppy buddy. If you do find an operation that advocates you and your dive buddy splitting up like this please post it here so I and others can avoid them.

If you are staying down while your buddy ascents, you aren't much of a buddy. When your buddy calls the dive, you go with him/her. Where did you revceive your training? Read the news. ANother diver lost his life in Cozumel, because his buddy stayed down with the group several weeks ago.

You need a course on buddy diving.

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many harsh responses.

My wife does not dive, so I frequently buddy up with strangers, the DM or sometimes the DM doesn't even organize buddy teams and everyone dives as a group.

I have done several solo ascents. When I was low on air the DM would send me up solo. Granted this was not Cozumel and boat traffic was minimal, but I have done so on advanced dives (Molokini back wall).

As I stated previously I plan on surfacing together initially. After assessing my buddy, I would let him surface solo. From everyone's responses it looks like this is not safe in Cozumel.

this is NOT safe anywhere....There are reasons why your OW course (I hope) told you to always stay with your buddy.

Please read up on buddy diving for your own safety and that of your buddy. By the way, recent court decisions have made it clear that if you are diving in the US and your buddy signals to terminate the dive and you refuse to ascend with them and then they experience some sort of trouble that you could have helped with that you may be held liable as well.

Things like AGEs and shallow water blackouts are both life threatening conditions that can come with no warning upon ascent. I am not trying to be nasty, but how would you feel if you sent your wife or other buddy to the surface to later find out that they experienced a shallow water blackout and dropped the reg from their mouth at the surface, susequently drowning? The knowledge that if you had been with them you could have likely replaced their regulator or kept their head above water would be a burden to carry I am sure.

What you are contemplating here is weighing a few extra minutes of bottom time for yourself against your buddy's safety. In my opinion this is inexcusable and you should not buddy up with anyone unless you are willing to change this.

I am not meaning to personally attack you at all. I just want to bring to light some of the reasons why I feel this is such a bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom