Cozumel Dive Ops-Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Going to Cozumel in Jan and I think I've studied the trip to death! Staying at El Cid but cannot pick a dive op. Aldora sounds great, Papa Hogs sounds fun, Living Underwater, all of them.

I'm SSI AOW and like to dive EAN36. Not looking for anything hair raising...I dive great lakes wrecks w/ 5'viz, 42degrees @ 100' anything will look good to me.

I want big tanks [100 cf] and medium difficulty. Help me pick!!

Hey, Sheriff!

Papa Hog's (in spite of the name) is just great. So is Alejandra's (la jefa) at this URL:

http://www.cozumel-diving.net/alex-alex/

Most dive ops on Coz use AL 80's, but you can ask them for special dispensation! I have only used Al 80's and steel 80's on Coz.

As for EAN, you again, need to ask them. I have never used anything but air whilst on Coz because I usually only dive two dives a day and rarely go very much below 100 ft on the first dive. So, EAN is not that valuable to me on the island. But folks I dive with do use Nitrox, so it can be done. One note of caution: sometimes it seems like it is not available. Maybe it's the spirit of "manana" (sorry, no tilde available on my keyboard).

I have not used the other two shops you mentioned, but Living Underwater has a fine reputation with folks I know.

The diving on Coz is, for the most part, relaxing and not Indiana Jones stuff. There are a few sites that are challenging (Maracaibo Reef) and there is the occasional strong current that can be like Dorothy out of Kansas. I am probably a wuss, but always carry a safety sausage and signal device on Coz just in case the current decides I need to go to the Yucatan! (That's a joke!)

The water will be considerably warmer than you are used to and there are really no wrecks (in my opinion) worth diving on Coz. However, it is some of the very best diving in North America and you will come home with a set of memories that will keep you warm all Winter. The fauna are spectacular--from the smallest trunkfish you have ever seen to some fairly spectacular nurse sharks and groupers. And the coral--well, it is like an underwater rainbow with all its variations. If you are lucky during the day you may spot a fish that is only found on Coz: the Splendid Toadfish. Its purple, black and yellow colors will knock your fins off! It is nocturnal, but can be seen during the day, peeking out from under the coral. Ask your DM to keep a lookout for one. If you do a night dive, you are more likely to see one.

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

If you want big tanks, small fast boats and exceptional service then Aldora is the dive op for you. They use steel 120's. My longest dive with them was 80 minutes at Palancar Gardens. It was awesome. I wouldn't dive with anyone else (but I haven't dove with anyone else either). I've been to Cozumel three times. Fourth trip coming in 2003 and, you guessed it, I'll dive with Aldora.

If you want big tanks, small fast boats and exceptional service then Living Underwater is the dive op for you. They use LP steel 120's (no converting if you don't have a DIN regulator). My SHORTEST dive with them was 83 minutes and the longest was over 2 hours. It was awesome. I wouldn't dive with anyone else and I've dove with the others before. I've been to Cozumel several times. Next trip coming in Dec and, you guessed it, I'll dive with Living Underwater.

:mean:

How very original! Seriously you must have looked like a prune after 2 hours underwater. Give details. What dive site, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom