Cozumel & Belize Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be diving Cozumel & Belize next week. I am goin on a cruise that stops there. I will only have the chance to dive two sites at each location. I would like to do three reefs and one wreck. I am looking for some recommendations on what sites to visit.

I think you're SOL as far as wrecks go in those two locations. Someone may correct me. As far as reef opportunites, oh, just about anything.

I liked the Palancar area of Cozumel.
Your options in Belize kind of depend on where you stop.

I am not really disappointed abou the wrecks because they have to be pretty impressive for me to enjoy them. I just hope conditions are good those days. How deep are most of the reefs at those places? I do not have time to visit the blue hole. I will be going to another popular location in Belize.

Hey av8er23, where in Belize are you stopping at and for how long??

Hey Lake Diver,

Not sure if you know my screen name but I am the one that submitted those pics and videos to your site about a year ago. the website is coming along and looks good. I will only be in Belize for one day.... I am stopping there on a cruise. Do you have a trip planned to visit there?

yeah, I recognized your location and realized who you are! No plans to go there, but I have been to Belize 3 times....

Cozumel does have some wrecks, but I'm not sure the older ones are open yet because of the hurricane. They sunk a couple of wrecks in June but there won't be much on them yet. On 2 tank dives it is usually 90 ft and 60 ft. I have never been to a bad dive site in Cozumel, they are all awesome.

When I was in Belize it looked like alot of the cruise ship divers were taken to Spanish bay. I didn't think much of this site. If you can get to Hol-Chan the sea life will be better in my opinion. At Hol-Chan we saw Eagle Rays and Nurse Sharks on every dive. There are also some nice canyone to swim through. The GREAT diving in Belize is the outer atolls, but it doesn't sound like you will have time for these.

In Cozumel if I only had one day, I would dive Palancar. There are several sites on this reef and all that I have dove are excellent. Great swim throughs, milder currents and good sealife.

Have Fun

ditto what bikefox said....Hol-Chan is a marine preserve and has lots of sharks and rays and other life....it is only about 1 mile off the coast of Ambergris Caye. If you stop at Belize City, which is I think the only cruise ship dock, diving will be limited unless you have more than one day. Maybe try to book a dive trip through the cruise ship person to ensure you'll get to dive. The water close to Belize City is like Pepsi... I have been to Cozumel as well and really any dive there rules....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom