Trip Report COZUMEL - AUGUST 2022 - YEAR OF THE (SEA)HORSE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhhh.....absolutely enjoyed your trip report with stunning photos of your diving days!!!
Congratulations on 4000 logged dives! I always look forward to your posts and learn so much reading your reports...example: (who knew the sergeant majors fish eggs were purple and guarded by the male for ONLY a WEEK?!!!)
THANK YOU for all the time and effort you take to create them and share here!!!

Thank you for posting these.

My wife and I enjoy the hunt and now you have shared a few new things to look out for.

Could you please elaborate on the sea horses and where exactly you found them? It looks like some were on the sand but others were on the reef? Or maybe none were in the sand?

Do you use a particular strategy to find these things? Do you look at each thing you pass by closely or do you zero in on certain corals or macroalgae and then scan those over?

Thank you for posting these.

My wife and I enjoy the hunt and now you have shared a few new things to look out for.

Could you please elaborate on the sea horses and where exactly you found them? It looks like some were on the sand but others were on the reef? Or maybe none were in the sand?

Do you use a particular strategy to find these things? Do you look at each thing you pass by closely or do you zero in on certain corals or macroalgae and then scan those over?

I only found one of the pictured seahorses and that was pure luck. The dive guides know where they are and will take you to them if you ask. Even then, it takes a lot of looking and skill on the part of the guide to spot them. When Choky and Nestor pointed out a seahorse, it took a moment or two to recognize what we were looking at. I would say, "shape" is the best parameter for spotting one. Scan the rope sponges and small plants, looking for that distinctive shape. Paradise Reef, on the "grassy" area off the reef is a current location. We were told there was a seahorse near Scuba Club but we looked and couldn't find it.

Fabulous amazing photos. Thanks for sharing!

I'm blown away after looking at all those pics from August diving. My wife has been pursuing UW photography for 20 years and while she is now shooting with a simple TG-3 or whatever, I've never seen such a score of great opportunities. Forget the camera. I want to just want to be able to spot and see everything you managed to find (and somehow managed to snap a pic of)!

Thank you so much for sharing. Just goes to show there is a lot of stuff down there if ya know how to look or have DM's with keen eyes who can find them.

I see you stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel, a well known operation that I don't see a lot of trip reports on here. IIRC, this is who you used before. For the benefit of other divers considering their options in Cozumel, care to comment as to what you like about SCC well enough to choose them over other options?

Great photos. Wow. Especially loved one with the hermit crab, but you had a lot of sweet shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom