Coz Rookie.....need Help Planning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris3536

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I am planning to take a dive trip in early days of November. It has will be 2 years since my last dive vacation. This vacation I would really like to go to Cozumel. The beauty of this board is that many of you fellow members have been to COZ many times and will be able to give me great advice to questions that I will ask. (Thank you in advance!)

First off, my lovely wife (non-diver) will be joining me on my trip. When it comes to vacation time, my wife is very high maintainence. She is not high maintainence in the normal, nagging, complaining sense, but in her requirements for a resort. For instance, my wife is very light complected and her skin burns easy. She is also a picky eater. She loved our trip to Playa de Carmen in 2002. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach. The place was perfect for for us. The resort had several umbrellas scattered all over the beach. She could lay on the beach and pool for hours under those umbrellas and never get burned. The best part of the resort was the dive operation was on site. I literally rolled off my beach chair, took 25 steps and started gearing up. What I'm getting at is that the only time I left her was during my dives. I know most resorts in COZ have there own dive operators on site so I am expecting the same convenience.

Getting specific with my questions that I looking to get answered:

What resort would you recommend we stay at that provides beach umbrellas or some sort of shade for sun bather's? We thought about going to the Iberostar because we know they have umbrellas there, but so many people have said the place was "average." Also, we would probably lean more towards all-inclusive resorts.

When diving in Playa, I dove with Iberostar's operator Dressel Divers. They were very nice but I really didn't enjoy the diving with them. The boat they used was kind of small. I know many of you prefer small boats, but being a big guy ( 300lbs) I found it very difficult getting back on board the boat because the ladders they used were very short and hardly went below the surface. Basically, my first step onto the ladder was at my chest level and then the boat started tipping to the side I was trying to board and made it more difficult. Listen, I know I'm a big guy, but I am very strong, I have great flexability, and my cardiovascular health is above average. It took every thing out of me to get back on the boat, so I only did one dive per day. Please keep in mind that I was trying to board from the side of the boat, not the rear. I guess what I'm looking for is a dive operator that has boats that are very easy to board. (Gosh, it's starting to sound like I'm the high maintainence traveler! LOL! )

I appreciate anyones input on either choosing a resort and a dive operator. I know someone will finish reading this and say "Ah hah! I have just the place!"

Thanks again for your advice!

The Occidental Grand certainly meets your requirements for a resort that will pamper your wife while you dive.

Any of the dive operators will pick you up in the morning at the pier at the Grand. Many of the operators have larger boats and therefore more substantial ladders.

Rich Hagelin

chris3536:
What resort would you recommend we stay at that provides beach umbrellas or some sort of shade for sun bather's? We thought about going to the Iberostar because we know they have umbrellas there, but so many people have said the place was "average." Also, we would probably lean more towards all-inclusive resorts.

IMHO, Iberostar is an "above average" all-inclusive resort...for Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom