Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I wonder what they would do if the traveler had no cash? I guess I'll keep dressing like a pauper when I travel so I don't make myself a target of hungry customs agents. I only take cheap jewelry on vacation for fear of theft and loss, and leave my engagement ring home in the safe. This is really disappointing.

A well known expat.posted on coz4u on facebook about getting harassed at the airport. They wanted her to come to a back room and she refused to go. She stood her ground and they let her go o believe. I know I read about people being fined for vape pens which are illegal to bring in they ask if u have any tobacco or vape products. It reminds me of police in USA when they fishing trying to get you to give them a reason to search your car or bags.

Never previously in Cozumel but starting last fall I started hearing of shakedowns at customs in Cozumel. I noticed they stopped relying primarily on the red light / green light button and kept the search / examination tables full and would search the travelers bags very thoroughly. What is or is not duty free seemed to be fluid from one customs person to the next and exorbitant fines were being proposed. When the traveler balked the customs official would type a message on their cell phone to the effect of 'Put x dollars in your passport and then let me examine it' the money would then disappear when they examined the passport. Customs is a federal entity and not under the city or state officials. From the stories I have heard of customs actions on the land borders Cozumel customs is pretty tame.
Do you know what sorts of things they are looking for?

Do you know what sorts of things they are looking for?
There are massive threads on TA and Cozumel 4 You about it.

The "bad" customs people are looking for cash and anything else they can pocket, counting on most tourists not knowing the law, and even if they do, being too intimidated to stand their ground.

From the Cozumel 4 You admin:

I had it happen to me. As I had not done anything wrong and refused to go in the back room, they finally let me go. It was a 40 minute ordeal that started with them sending everybody to the table, no green/red light. The good news is enough of us have sent formal letters of complaint, that I have heard it is no longer happening. Just a few tips .... no vape products (totally illegal), only one carton of cigarettes, not a cigarette over ... amount of chewing tobacco is also limited. Have all your receipts, one laptop and I do not suggest you go in the back room if they ask you to.

I don't think @ducatiwv said anything about being harassed at customs - it was a couple of motorcycle tickets. Have you or @ReefHound heard about problems at customs when you fly in? I have heard it's pretty common to get the shakedown at the border when driving in - but not flying in. If you have other info, please share.

Also, I had heard that some businesses in Cozumel were required to continue paying employees during covid. Maybe it was dependent on the size of the company or the type of business? Or maybe I dreamed it? Maybe someone who lives/works on the island can clarify? (sorry if this is asking a question that has been asked and answered repeatedly).

The customs thing is old news. Many of you coming here for years have experienced the casual security in the airport, well, they cycled in some new folks and security became tighter. Vap products/pens are illegal in Mexico since a year ago - a few folks had them and were taken into a side room where they paid large fines. Some cheese products can't be brought in. Someone had 13k undeclared and were taken into a side room where some of it disappeared. Yes a well known (she would be flattered) person stood her ground and would not go to the side room to have her money counted. This side room they are talking about has no cameras, it is not the "office" type room with the tables and computers in there.

They were searching more thoroughly, much more than we were used to. The red/green light is being phased out. This group of agents cycled thru the airport, they have since moved on. There is a brochure available about what is and is not allowed - it's in Spanish and English - things that were questionable and allowed in the past might not be allowed now but the brochure is really straight forward. When you get caught with something you shouldn't have - you go to the room with the computers - they print you up a violation and you pay the fine with a credit card - that is 100% legit and the way it works. Luh not wanting to go into a side room to count money was because she didn't want money to disappear - if they want to count every nickle in your pocket, let's count it where everyone can see, that's what she demanded. Bottom line is follow the immigration rules and worst case is that you will be searched thoroughly - if you used to sneak stuff in, chances are much higher that you will be caught.

Employee wages.... Yes, when a business closes for a period of time, the business is responsible for paying their employees 100% while closed. Employment law is considerably different here than in the US.

There is a brochure available about what is and is not allowed - it's in Spanish and English - things that were questionable and allowed in the past might not be allowed now but the brochure is really straight forward.
Do you know where I might find that brochure?

Bottom line is follow the immigration rules and worst case is that you will be searched thoroughly - if you used to sneak stuff in, chances are much higher that you will be caught.

Employee wages.... Yes, when a business closes for a period of time, the business is responsible for paying their employees 100% while closed. Employment law is considerably different here than in the US.

Thanks for the clarifications. I feel much better about the customs issues. I'm SUCH a rule follower than upon re-entry to the US, in Dallas, when a TSA guy asked if I had purchased any drugs in Mexico I said 'no' without a thought - then about 10 feet later remembered I'd gotten ear drops and nearly went back to confess! I won't be sneaking anything anywhere!!.

I understand the employment laws may be making it extremely difficult for businesses to keep their doors open - and anyone whose income was largely supplemented via tips must be suffering a great deal.

Do you know where I might find that brochure?

I thought I'd never find it but it's attached - there is a code on there to scan with your phone for the English version

Here's a facebook thread talking about the issues people had:

Mark Lindsey

Here's some basics:
120489893_3201988980027669_4390646255304811751_n.jpg

120347546_3201989073360993_7300456800285041327_n.jpg

Attachments

• Customs Requirements 2020 (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
While in Cozumel last week, I was worried about going through their customs after reading about these incidents. My luck of getting the red light continued on. They pulled me over to a side table(in public) and the search was anemic. They were respectful and professional. I have to admit that I was worried since I did have some Sudafed in my bag. Fortunately, no issues arose.

One thing with this airport check - the foreigners that live here have an active smuggling ring going on and it's right out in the open. Every week there are a few people coming and going and they usually make it known on Facebook - hey what do you need, I'm coming back Wednesday type thing. If you have a fetish for powdered peanut butter, never fear, there is a supply chain available....... Nobody brings stuff not allowed, just stuff not available here.

It's mostly little food items or any other misc stuff. The same thing happens when someone goes to Playa or Cancun in a car - they come back full of Home Depot stuff, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Krispy Kream donuts.....

Times are hard but extorting and robbing tourists is a good way to kill the goose. Bad reputations don't take long to acquire but can take very long to shed. Getting shaken down at customs is not a great way to start a trip and doesn't put on in the mood to be generous. The customs guy or cop may be feeding his family a few nights with a shakedown but he might be putting the hurt on a bunch of other families when the victim curtails his spending or cancels his next trip and tells his story to all his friends.

Yes.
I've read an increasing number of reports of short and long term visitors to Playa being relieved of their phones, wallets, purses, and cash by the municipal police.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom