Covid situation in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is the diving community coping up with the Covid situation in Florida? Are caves open and classes still happening? What about the charter boat captains? What do you all foresee your return to diving to look like? Thanks in advance everyone. I am trying to fathom the overall impact of this on your diving and the dive industry in general.

South FL everything is closed. Beaches, marinas, dive shops, charters, everything. Some shop are doing tank fills where you can drop off a tank on the sidewalk. The only actual diving that I've seen is people off their own boat, that they keep behind their house.

There are some caves open if you know where to look, especially true if you have a boat. I think across the state you're going to see 1/3 or more shops end up closing but this is relative cynicism and depends on the area. State and nearly all private parks are closed and places to get fills are often by appointment only with curbside pickup.

Jax and St Augustine guys, private and occasional charter, have been diving offshore the whole time. Saw a guy diving the jetties too.
They just opened the parks and beaches in Jax back up.
Beervirus situation in FL is mostly in S. Fl, In NE Fla you are far more likely to die in a shooting, ODing on fentanyl or car wreck.
Grouper season opens in May and lobster is just closed or there would be more people diving.

..Grouper season opens in May and lobster is just closed or there would be more people diving.

Yep,,Every April with everything closed, I almost never dove except to scout at the end of the month. All April is rebuild regs, hydros, vips, & sew holes closed from all the gear I destroy. Now I'm just sewing custom masks (they're too easy)

Yessir, typically smaller boats would be getting trailers overhauled and other maintenance and bigger boats would get hauled out, bottoms painted, zincs replaced and other yearly maintenance. Come May 1, per the weather being doable would see boat races to everyone's favorite grouper holes.

As far as classes, I haven't heard of any being taught locally.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom