Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've heard we have no idea at this point how long travel bans will be in place.

Our trip is planned for April 22nd

We're supposed to be there that week also. The article doesn't present too encouraging of a scenario right now in GC. Hope that the airlines are flying and the resorts are open when our time comes (and of course that the dive boats are going out.)

Does anyone know if the current Coronavirus restrictions, bans, and closings on Grand Cayman also apply to the Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman?

Just a few quick notes on this.

As of today, it was business as usual on the island. There's been a few bouts of panic buying, but from my observation (I live right adjacent to Camana Bay Fosters) but aside from that it's been fairly normal. For reasons no one seems to understand, the toilet paper isle empties often, but cargo ships are still coming to the island, and shelves are re-stocked quickly.

It's important to note, the only closings are the schools. Planes are still flying here. Nothing has changed. Royal Palms and a few other businesses that depend largely on cruise ship tourism will close until the ships come back to port, but aside from that, most will remain open.

Now of course this may change next week, but if you were on the island, you'd honestly have no idea anything was gong on in the rest of the world.

Divetech's owner, Joanna, had a phone call with Steve Broadbelt, the owner of Ocean Frontiers today. I've spoken with the owners of Turtle Divers and Living the Dream, and all of us plan to remain open for business. Most of us will use this time as our slow time for service and maintenance that we'd normally do in September.

Does anyone know if the current Coronavirus restrictions, bans, and closings on Grand Cayman also apply to the Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman?

Yes the restrictions apply everywhere, but I doubt you'll see much impact to the sister islands.

Tony

With the cruise ship ban it could be an ideal time to visit the islands. If we can get there and back.

My concern with any traveling right now is the getting back part. There is so much over reaction right now that I'm worried if I go anywhere the day after I arrive it will be announced that incoming is banned from there now. But thankfully I live close enough to the ocean I can still dive.

As of today, it was business as usual on the island. There's been a few bouts of panic buying, but from my observation (I live right adjacent to Camana Bay Fosters) but aside from that it's been fairly normal. For reasons no one seems to understand, the toilet paper isle empties often, but cargo ships are still coming to the island, and shelves are re-stocked quickly.

It's important to note, the only closings are the schools. Planes are still flying here. Nothing has changed. Royal Palms and a few other businesses that depend largely on cruise ship tourism will close until the ships come back to port, but aside from that, most will remain open.

Now of course this may change next week, but if you were on the island, you'd honestly have no idea anything was gong on in the rest of the world.

Divetech's owner, Joanna, had a phone call with Steve Broadbelt, the owner of Ocean Frontiers today. I've spoken with the owners of Turtle Divers and Living the Dream, and all of us plan to remain open for business. Most of us will use this time as our slow time for service and maintenance that we'd normally do in September.

Tony

We've been on island since January, and I would echo Tony's observations. Things here seem to be as normal as ever. We shop at the local supermarkets every few days and everything we need has been in stock. We eat out a few times a week and it seems like business as usual at the restaurants. Our condo is currently filled with a lot of rental visitors. I suppose the only issue might flying in and out, but our recent and current visitors have had no problems so far. In fact, with the number of arrivals decreasing (especially cruise ships), it's a pretty good time to be here.

Yes the restrictions apply everywhere, but I doubt you'll see much impact to the sister islands.

Tony

We've been on island since January, and I would echo Tony's observations. Things here seem to be as normal as ever. We shop at the local supermarkets every few days and everything we need has been in stock. We eat out a few times a week and it seems like business as usual at the restaurants. Our condo is currently filled with a lot of rental visitors. I suppose the only issue might flying in and out, but our recent and current visitors have had no problems so far. In fact, with the number of arrivals decreasing (especially cruise ships), it's a pretty good time to be here.

Thanks Tony and Mike; things are pretty much normal here, too. The schools are closed and large gatherings are cancelled or discouraged. I have a friend that mourning the abrupt cancellation of hockey games and other sporting events. Folks are working from home if they have that option and business travel is discouraged. There is a little panic buying but we have been able to find the necessities.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to Cayman but the I think the biggest concern for many people, as already mentioned, is that if you travel there is a small possibility that you might get quarantined, either when you arrive or when you return. If I already had already made reservations to travel I would go as planned. But I haven't so I will wait a bit and see how things shake out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom