cover Q on SkinDiver April2002 cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starfish

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a copy of the April 2002 Skin Diver magazine. It has a nice picture of someone diving a cave in Mexico.

One thing made me go hmmmm. . . as a beginning diver.

The person pictured has what looks like a a fully inflated wing-type Scubapro RecTech on.

Why would it be fully inflated?

Try not to flame me too badly, please.

A diver who is heavily into digital photography told me that after getting involverd in UW photography and digital editing, he will no longer look at any underwater photograph the same way. With digital photography and digital editing it wouldn't be too much of a hasstle to put together the perfect cover shot. (Heck if an editor can shave 200lbs and 15 years of Oprah each month for the cover of "O", then he/she would have no problem doctoring up an UW photograph.

I did see the cover of the April Skin Diver but didn't catch the fully inflated wings. This cover photo is the classic case of a cut and paste. Who ever did the editing, probably went into some photo archives and found what he thought was the perfect photo of a diver to place inside the cave. He/she probably missed the inflated wings.

Just my 2 cents

Just saw the photo...
Single AL tank
Open water light
Yoke fitting
Silting posture
Huge wing
Looks like the coming thing in someone's new "Rec/Tek" realm...
AAAaarrrgggghhhh...
Rick

So I'd be correct in thinking that if this were an actual shot that this person would have a empty bladder on their wing or maybe something with a bit of air? (That is totally disregarding half a dozen other thing that don't seem to go with cave diving.)

Starfish,

I'm not convinced that it's fully inflated. A wing with a little air will float up and could look like that; I can't see enough detail to tell for sure.

What I do know is that this is how the typical cavern (not cave) diver appeared to be equipped in Akumal when I was there in December.

Basically there's nothing in the picture that leads me to believe that it's undergone any major manipulation.

Roak

Great to see that people are still questioning dive magazines and the media.

Perhaps we should start a thread called - Are dive magazines accurate ( or honest).

Or maybe "which dive magazines care about diving and integrity over circulation"

Keep asking questions and you will become the best diver ( and person) you can be :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom