Couzmel in April??? Pro's and con's??? HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Goofygirl:

I hope April is a great time on Cozumel because my wife and I will be staying at the Occidental Grand from the 16th to the 21st! We are diving with Blue XT SEA. :bounce:

goofygirl:
We had originally been planning on going in late October, but after considering the possibility of storms, and having to wait almost the rest of the year for a dive trip we're now considering going April 17-24th.

Are there any big advantages or disadvantages to going at this time of year?

I appreciate any info you can provide as we're going to need to book VERY soon! Thanks!!!

Book 'em, Danno! I reiterate: there is no bad time of year to go to Cozumel; April on Cozumel will be fantastic, trust me. Don't worry, be happy.

I predict that sometime in April, you're gonna be lying in a hammock at the Paradise Cafe (aka Bob's Marley Bar) listening to Reggae music and sipping a cold cervesa, thinking to yourself, "Now, somebody tell me, what was it I was so worried about?"

Don' worry <dum dum de dum> 'bout a t'ing <dum dum, da dum de dum dum>
Ev'ry li'l t'ing <dum dum> gonna be all right <dum dum, da dum de dum dum>...

If I haven't sent you this before (or even if I have)
http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html

Greetings everyone,

I am glad that someone asked about April cause we just booked a trip for the 17th thru the 24th at the Occ. Grand. First time staying there so I hope its a great place. We were at the Reef Club last time and it suited us fine. I have read that the Grand is a little nicer. Any comparisons between Sand Dollar and D. Palancar? I am a relative newbie so I can't tell a good one from a bad one.

Also, howdy Scubarick. I am a Lexingtonian and fellow Kentuckian. Nice to meet you.

I strongly suspect that you'll find the Occidental Grand much superior to the Reef Club, and Dive Palancar superior to Sand Dollar Sports.

Now, to quote from ggggggggunn's post just below, "Don' worry <dum dum de dum> 'bout a t'ing <dum dum, da dum de dum dum> Ev'ry li'l t'ing <dum dum> gonna be all right <dum dum, da dum de dum dum>..."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc. You're insightful and no holds barred perspective is one of the things I enjoy the most on this forum.

56 days and counting........ :bounce:

ggunn:
I predict that sometime in April, you're gonna be lying in a hammock at the Paradise Cafe (aka Bob's Marley Bar) listening to Reggae music and sipping a cold cervesa, thinking to yourself, "Now, somebody tell me, what was it I was so worried about?"

Don' worry <dum dum de dum> 'bout a t'ing <dum dum, da dum de dum dum>
Ev'ry li'l t'ing <dum dum> gonna be all right <dum dum, da dum de dum dum>...

Oh that sounds sooooo divine!!! How did you know that's one of my favorite Marley songs?!

It looks like it's a done deal. We'll probably book this weekend for Fiesta Americana (NOT the all inclusive, because we want to sample all of Cozumel's restaurants) for April 17-24th!!!

Now the hard part...
Trying to choose a Dive Op.! We're newbies. Just got our OW Cert on our Honeymoon in Aruba last October. We only have about 10 dives under our belt, and we can't wait to get wet again!

We don't want to get mixed up on a big boat with a lot of really experinced divers and get left behind in the current. Then again we don't want to be babysat either. We've got good buoyancy control and impressively low air consumption for newbies (you gotta love Yoga for breath control!)

Any recommendations for a good smaller dive op for newbies? :profile:
(We'll need to do full epuip. rental too, minus the mask, fins and snorkel which we have.)

We're also debating whether to rent a car or not. Any ideas on the subject? :profile:

PS there seems to be a lot of us going then, we should try to have a GTG for a few of those aforementioned CERVESAS one evening or afternoon!!!

Scott 101,

I spent a week last June at Occidental Grand and loved it. I would highly recommend it. The food was about the only thing they could improve on, but it was no worse than any other all-inclusive. We dove with Dive Palancar and had no complaints, whatsoever. Very professional divemasters, attentive crew, no overcrowding. I will probably be going back this May. Am still trying to decide between Little Cayman and Cozumel. Big price difference. I may try the Iberostar this year--just south of Occidental Grand.

Let us know how it goes...

goofygirl:
Oh that sounds sooooo divine!!! How did you know that's one of my favorite Marley songs?!

It looks like it's a done deal. We'll probably book this weekend for Fiesta Americana (NOT the all inclusive, because we want to sample all of Cozumel's restaurants) for April 17-24th!!!

Now the hard part...
Trying to choose a Dive Op.! We're newbies. Just got our OW Cert on our Honeymoon in Aruba last October. We only have about 10 dives under our belt, and we can't wait to get wet again!

We don't want to get mixed up on a big boat with a lot of really experinced divers and get left behind in the current. Then again we don't want to be babysat either. We've got good buoyancy control and impressively low air consumption for newbies (you gotta love Yoga for breath control!)

Any recommendations for a good smaller dive op for newbies? :profile:
(We'll need to do full epuip. rental too, minus the mask, fins and snorkel which we have.)

We're also debating whether to rent a car or not. Any ideas on the subject? :profile:

PS there seems to be a lot of us going then, we should try to have a GTG for a few of those aforementioned CERVESAS one evening or afternoon!!!
Well, again,not to worry, there are plenty of options; most dive shops on Coz are adept at newbie wrangling. I've ad great experience with Cozumel Equalizers as both a novice and my present status as an "advanced intermediate" diver. Just make sure you are absolutely honest with the dive shop about your experience level. As to a car rental, a car can be a PITA to deal withon Cozumel; I always cab it except for the around the island excursion (which you GOTTA do), but I stay close to town (Lorena). FA is a bit further; I on't know what a cab to town from there costs. I would look it up for you, but I'm on my mom's #@%!! dialup and it would take half an hour to do it.

Back
Top Bottom