Counting down to Roatan-time is too slow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhappydiver

Registered
Reaction score
Help!!! I'm going stir crazy waiting for the next 10 days to pass until we leave for 7 nights at AKR on Roatan! Does anyone know how to make the clock tick faster???

P.S. I'm in Tampa Bay, Florida so I'm also watching Ivan like crazy - its a sick world: I'm happy its not heading for Roatan but instead it may hit my own house! Oh well - as long as the Miami airport is operational I'll still go on vacation and worry about the house when I get back! Seriously though - I hope it will just drift out to sea and dissipate so it will not hurt anymore communities.

Anyone else waiting patiently (or not) for their vacation to begin?

Hmmmmm couldn't tell you how to pass the time. I'm waiting myself for the end of Nov. to go to the Bahamas. at least you got 10 days to go..i got 2 months to go! trust me it will go by fast..and as soon as you get there, then it will be time to come home again. Well, hopefully you won't get hit by the hurricane. it's been an awful yr. for those. good luck

My wife and I were scheduled to go to Jamacia next Thursday, but unless Ivan decides to dissapear I don't think that is going to happen.

So we're trying to make alternate arraingments to go to Roatan instead. There are some good deals at AKR and FIBR right now so we're looking at those. Does anyone know if this is the rainy season over there?

Thanks
Peter

Rainey season begins Oct. through Jan. I booked Oct. 5th for a week at FIBR, & yes 'going crazy in anticipation. I did a search on Weather Channel records for Roatan back 5 years, & all but one year the 1st week of Oct. was fantastic weather. I wonder now though, how all these hurricanes going by to the north affect the visability (?)

MN Lakeman:
Rainey season begins Oct. through Jan. I booked Oct. 5th for a week at FIBR, & yes 'going crazy in anticipation. I did a search on Weather Channel records for Roatan back 5 years, & all but one year the 1st week of Oct. was fantastic weather. I wonder now though, how all these hurricanes going by to the north affect the visability (?)

Good points and questions as well.

The Bay Islands lie to the South of what is generaly known as the Hurrican Belt. Most Hurricanes enter the Caribbean and spin NW towards landfall anywhere from the Yucatan to Texas, Louisina, Florida... some spin NNW up the Caribbean isles and may go for the Sunshine State.

"generaly" "most" "anywhere" "some" "may"

For the season, the Bay Islands call it "rainy season".

Near developed areas, run off can be a problem. It depends upon where you dive.

"generaly" "most" "anywhere" "some" "may"

... then there was Oct 27, 1998.

Well it looks like we have made up our minds, FIBR 18-25th. The problem is that I have frequent flyer flights that are only available going down on the 17th to Tegucigalpa.

Can anyone suggest a puddle jumper from there and a place to stay Friday night? Anyone? RoatanMan? Anyone?

Thanks

BoomerTC:
Well it looks like we have made up our minds, FIBR 18-25th. The problem is that I have frequent flyer flights that are only available going down on the 17th to Tegucigalpa.

Can anyone suggest a puddle jumper from there and a place to stay Friday night? Anyone? RoatanMan? Anyone?

Thanks

I get all my air from Roatan Charter. I would rather book in advance and know for sure, paying extra for US based booking seems worth the price to me. Some say you can jump on from down there at reduced rates, but I'd rather have the paperwork in hand.

Place to stay? Either the "Executive Inn" or the "French Harbour Yacht Club"... I would opt for the FHYC. Right next to FIBR and kinda Central American homey-rustic. Good food and great day dive op to check over, as well.

Your FIBR sales rep stateside should be able to handle this all for you as well. FIBR won't do you the extra night for cheap? Hard to imagine that they're all booked up as it's not a South American holiday. They're pretty cooperative!

Have fun, be sure to post a complete report here as well. Go slow, carry a magnifying glass, follow the DM, look for the small stuff.

dhappydiver:
Help!!! I'm going stir crazy waiting for the next 10 days to pass until we leave for 7 nights at AKR on Roatan! Does anyone know how to make the clock tick faster???

P.S. I'm in Tampa Bay, Florida so I'm also watching Ivan like crazy - its a sick world: I'm happy its not heading for Roatan but instead it may hit my own house! Oh well - as long as the Miami airport is operational I'll still go on vacation and worry about the house when I get back! Seriously though - I hope it will just drift out to sea and dissipate so it will not hurt anymore communities.

Anyone else waiting patiently (or not) for their vacation to begin?

I would re-reoute thru Houston (IAH) and get over that way asap.

Looks like Florida will be shutting down all air ops by the weekend. Even if it isn't hitting near your town, airlines have a penchant for getting their delicate aircraft out of Dodge.

RoatanMan:
I get all my air from Roatan Charter. I would rather book in advance and know for sure, paying extra for US based booking seems worth the price to me. Some say you can jump on from down there at reduced rates, but I'd rather have the paperwork in hand.

Place to stay? Either the "Executive Inn" or the "French Harbour Yacht Club"... I would opt for the FHYC. Right next to FIBR and kinda Central American homey-rustic. Good food and great day dive op to check over, as well.

Your FIBR sales rep stateside should be able to handle this all for you as well. FIBR won't do you the extra night for cheap? Hard to imagine that they're all booked up as it's not a South American holiday. They're pretty cooperative!

Have fun, be sure to post a complete report here as well. Go slow, carry a magnifying glass, follow the DM, look for the small stuff.

Thanks for the info RoatanMan. I called the FIBR 800 number I found (which put me somewhere in Colorado). The guy told me that they were owned by FIBR and could not book anything else. He also said that they were jam-packed for the 17th, which is odd seeing how he said there is plenty of room starting the 18th but whatever...

He did say that he could handle the puddle jumper but I kind of like to get a second opinion when it comes to unknown carriers.

I'm checking out the Roatan Charter site now, looks good. I'm going to give them a call in a few minutes.

Thanks again
Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom