Couldn't Handle the Heat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWDivemaster

Registered
Reaction score
I"m terribly sorry if I offended anyone with my posts and the truth. There are all kinds of bogus behind the scenes diveshop politics in the seattle area. If anyone missed the original postings you can PM me and I would be happy to elaborate. NWgrateful, for what its worth I would rather dive in your store than any of the Sports stores. You know damn well what they have done to the smaller stores in the puget sound.

Politics don't interest me ... nor do I think they'll interest most of the folks who read this forum. Divers are interested in good service at a reasonable price. Shop politics is a huge turnoff, and should be left between the businesspeople who run the businesses.

If you're really interested in telling the truth, start by telling people who you are. That way they can judge for themselves how to take your information.

I doubt you offended anyone ... but you did damage the reputation of the shop you were trying to promote by not being upfront about the fact that you're one of their staff instructors. I would hope you'd not continue with stuff like that ... but suit yourself. I can't imagine that Bud will appreciate it, though ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think you offended anyone. Your original post just looked so troll-like that I think it was pretty obvious you had an axe to grind. Also, no offense intended, it wasn't written very well.

You are still entitled to your opinion as long as you're motivated by the same spirit that brings divers to Scuba Board.

AND

It would still be cool if you filled in some of your profile.

Sea ya!

Can’t we all just get along? :wink:

NWDivemaster’s post(s) did come across as a troll and/or a “stealth promotion” as Bob put it. But I wouldn’t have thought it warranted pulling the thread. Perhaps pulling the last post which caused this action and submitting a warning to the poster would have been more appropriate? I have seen a lot of other negative posts on the board which do not get pulled. :06:

I do not think the post regarding the “emergency room visit” sounded true, and if so did not specify facts which pointed to a dive shop’s (or anyone’s) negligence, or even if that dive shop was doing anything more than transporting a victim of something? Perhaps requesting more information would have been an appropriate first step rather than deleting everything? My concern is that if it was a true story, and there was negligence involved from someone working at the time for that dive store, then it would have been an appropriate story to add to the review(s). Incomplete or poorly written posts should not be (and aren’t) usually pulled instantly without someone requesting more information or substantiation, or at least a warning from a moderator. If this story is true, and the post was pulled because someone was protecting a shop from embarrassment (or whatever) then I hate to think of the implications that creates. (Censorship comes to mind). :11doh:

In my (humble) opinion, :D I think a little editing, or counter statements would have been a more appropriate action. But that's just me.

Solitude Diver:
I do not think the post regarding the “emergency room visit” sounded true, and if so did not specify facts which pointed to a dive shop’s (or anyone’s) negligence, or even if that dive shop was doing anything more than transporting a victim of something? Perhaps requesting more information would have been an appropriate first step rather than deleting everything? My concern is that if it was a true story, and there was negligence involved from someone working at the time for that dive store, then it would have been an appropriate story to add to the review(s). Incomplete or poorly written posts should not be (and aren’t) usually pulled instantly without someone requesting more information or substantiation, or at least a warning from a moderator. If this story is true, and the post was pulled because someone was protecting a shop from embarrassment (or whatever) then I hate to think of the implications that creates. (Censorship comes to mind). :11doh:
The implication being ... what?

For the record ... the thread didn't get pulled because of that story.

I did not moderate the pulled thread in any manner. In fact, our rules expressly forbid it. So the implication that someone pulled the thread to "protect" a shop doesn't wash ... the mod who pulled the thread doesn't live here, so he has no personal interest in any of our local businesses.

In truth, I would have preferred to leave the thread out here ... where the thread originator could have been exposed for the fraudulant statements that he made ... both by trying to pass himself off as an independent instructor when, in fact, he was promoting the shop he works for ... and by making false statements about a competing shop, which he cannot substantiate because they did not happen.

The moderator who pulled the thread did so at his own discretion ... for what he felt were ToS violations. Those violations had to do with the escalating tone of the thread, which was inappropriate to the type of forum we try to promote here.

In truth ... if pulling the thread protects any shop, it's the one this person was attempting to promote. Once he "outed" himself as an employee of that shop, several people had indicated that they would avoid that store because of his negative postings.

Publicly slamming your competition seldom produces positive results ... and doing it under false pretenses even less so.

For my own part, I had put some thought into the responses I had made in that thread. Personally, I'd have preferred to see them stay out here. I will not second-guess the moderator who felt otherwise, however. We are often placed in situations where we have to make judgment calls ... and it's a rare case when someone doesn't cry "censorship". Truth to tell, it gets a little old.

Yeah ... we can all get along. All we have to do is be honest with each other. But when a thread starts out on a dishonest note, then whatever else it becomes loses all sense of value once the fabrication is known.

In this case, that is exactly what happened. NWDivemaster would have made a much more positive impression if he had simply been honest about who he was, and why he was so negative about all but one local business.

Shop politics stinks ... no matter who promotes it.

Also for the record ... I like Bubbles Below. I like Bud. I like Tim. I like Laurel. I've gotten along with all of them for years, and hope to continue doing so.

NWDivemaster is also a staff instructor of the store. He and I are members of the same dive club. We don't particularly get along ... and we don't particularly need to. That's simply as a matter of full disclosure ... and it's personal.

What is NOT personal is that I will do everything in my power ... and support other mods for doing so as well ... to maintain a certain level of credibility on this board. When people post things that are patently untrue ... or misrepresent themselves as something that they are not ... their posts do not deserve to remain here.

I hope that is a satisfactory answer ... it's the only one I have to offer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Easy there big fella.

I was just stating a lot of if’s. The whole thing went South in a hurry, and a few scenarios could have been going on. I was careful to not accuse, just point out that if certain things were happening, it would not be a good thing. I take your word that they were not.

I also concur with you that you have made a point to speak positively about Bubbles, as well as numerous others.

As far as the other posts, my opinion was that the blatantly false things perhaps could have been removed while leaving the rest of the thread intact. You seem to agree as well.

I think we are in agreement on pretty much everything here, so no need to get defensive.

Cheers. :D

First of all, the "ER" event happened. I watched it with my OWN eyes. I have no idea what happened. The 5th D van was at Stevesn Hospital sometime in the spring of last year. Three gentlemen got out of the van, one of them appeared to be injured in some way. Thats all I know. I was hoping that someone could fill in the blanks, but I guess denying it is easier.

Second, I highly doubt I am harming Bud in any way. He runs the best shop in the area, he is a business genius , and if you compare our stores bottom lines, Bob, you'd know he is much better at selling product.

NWDivemaster:
First of all, the "ER" event happened. I watched it with my OWN eyes. I have no idea what happened. The 5th D van was at Stevesn Hospital sometime in the spring of last year. Three gentlemen got out of the van, one of them appeared to be injured in some way. Thats all I know. I was hoping that someone could fill in the blanks, but I guess denying it is easier.
Thank you ... at least this time you state that you have no idea what happened. Neither do I. Neither did anyone at the shop when I asked the staff if they recalled the incident. If it were a diving related accident it would have been discussed among the staff and documented for possible liability purposes ... as I'm sure it would be at your store too.

NWDivemaster:
Second, I highly doubt I am harming Bud in any way. He runs the best shop in the area, he is a business genius , and if you compare our stores bottom lines, Bob, you'd know he is much better at selling product.
... so is LeisurePro.

I have no issue with the amount of business conducted at either store. Truth to tell, with the exception of DUI drysuits ... which both stores sell a lot of ... neither their product lines nor the type of diver that's attracted to the store particularly compete with each other. And, personally, I'd prefer to see LDS businesses working together rather than trying to run each other out of business. That business model ... which most of the shop owners in our area seem to adopt ... is killing the local shops.

When are the LDS owners gonna learn that they don't compete against each other? They compete against the Internet ... and against other recreational activities for the customer's limited discretionary spending. The reason that manufacturers have such a stranglehold on what the LDS can and can't do is BECAUSE of this prevailing "divide and conquer" mentality.

All that said ... I'll reiterate that these aren't the issues I objected to. What I took issue with was passing yourself off as an "independent instructor" and offering a "no BS" shop review that slammed every shop in the area except one ... when it turned out that one was the shop you work for.

Now that it's established that you're a Bubbles Below employee, you're completely entitled to state your opinions ... because the readers will have an honest context in which to evaluate your comments.

Thanks for being forthcoming ... that's all I asked ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWDivemaster:
I've spoken to Bud about this thread ... and the one that got pulled. He made a few things clear to me.

First off, he doesn't want to be associated with this type of "promotion". It is not, has never been, and never will be, his intent to conduct business by knocking his competitors. Bud said that the reputation of his business has been harmed by the things said in this thread ... some of them things that I said. For that I apologize to Bud. He's always treated me fairly, and dealt with me honestly. I may not always agree with what he has to say, but I know that he speaks from what he sincerely believes, and I respect that.

Second off, he doesn't believe that NWDivemaster is who I think he is. On this point, I will have to concede that I cannot "prove" the identity of NWDivemaster ... to Bud or anyone else ... believe me, I tried. Therefore I will state, for the record, that this person may not be in any way associated with Bubbles Below. I have my reasons for believing what I believe but they will have to remain just what they are ... conjecture on my part based on interactions unrelated to ScubaBoard.

On that note, I am going to ask if one of the other moderators would close this thread. It has done harm to a local business that didn't deserve to get dragged into this conversation in that manner ... and I'm at least partly to blame for that.

It's not what ScubaBoard is all about ... we're here to promote diving, not drag each other down.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom