Couldn't finish OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look back through the archives of this subforum, you'll find that issues with no-mask breathing and mask clearing are some of the most common severe issues that people have with diving -- probably up there with clearing their ears.

There are some excellent posts and threads on how to overcome this, but THIS one is one of the best.

Be reassured that the vast majority of people, if they take this slowly and methodically, can learn these skills. In fact, yesterday I replied to a thread from someone who had had severe mask problems, and had written back to us to say that our tips helped and he had finished his certification.

I do agree that your dive shop/instructors don't seem to be helping you with this very much.

My question is can those just getting into diving take courses to get more comfortable?

You have several options but there is no reason why you can't learn to dive comfortably during a beginners course. The issues you mention are common and easily worked through with proper instruction.

I think you put your finger on the issue when you talked about not wanting to be pushed through a 3 day course. Not all courses are like that. The course is intended to be adjusted to match your pace of learning. In practice it's not always easy to do that because everyone is on a schedule but there are many instructors around who can help you get through the course at a pace more suitable to your needs. The 3 day break-neck-tempo courses are common in some places but definitely not your only option.

R..

First,

Thanks for all the replies! Awesome

Second,

I had no confined pool diving it was in 6ft of ocean water off their dock and 15 feet for their deep confined dives.

To get OW cert where I am from is expensive, like 800-1000. I can't afford that so I took a trip to Costa Rica and Bocas Del Toro and tried getting in Panama as it is only 200 to get certified

The instructors and owner was really great to deal with but like my local dive shop told me, " they are cheap because they shove people through the program ". I'm moving to Charleston, SC this fall and can hopefully finish my certification before it expires.

I think the dizziness happened as we descended a little quick and I wasn't able to equalize properly but it was my fault for trying to keep up. Its pretty nerve racking to be dizzy while breathing under water. I thought it might of been related to my traumatic brain injury because I also had sharp pains in the side of my head. Taking off my mask and swimming around also contributes to the dizziness.

Every dive shop in Bocas gives OW cert in 3 days of diving. They gave me the book before I even went to the first day and told me to read chapters 1-5 and then I watched the video and took the test the first half of the day and dived the second half.

Next time you are in the shallow end with a qualified instructor try this: pop your reg in your mouth, leave your mask in your hand and kneel down with your instructor placing your head an inch or two underwater. It'll be easy. Yet somehow the anxiety of kneeling down in the same depth with your mask on and taking it off, is somehow overwhelming to some people. I do this all the time with my students. It seems to help most of them. I'm also a personal fitness trainer and here is something else interesting and sorta the same. I've had people who say they can't do a single push-up...and starting in the up (arms extended) position, they are right. However, I start them in the down (belly on the ground) position, they knock out 10-12 in a row. Why is that? Mental? I don't know.

I had no confined pool diving it was in 6ft of ocean water off their dock and 15 feet for their deep confined dives.

Even though I am comfortable in the water and have snorkeled (with limited free diving to get a close up look), this type of course would have totally freaked me out. It sounds like it wasn't right for you, and that's okay -- I don't think this is a serious issue for you in terms of learning to dive, it's just that you've realized you need something a little different.

When you get to North Carolina, find a local dive shop and a program that gives you the 2-3 weeks of two classes a week plus two pool sessions a week -- and the shop will usually hold an "extra" if you need to work on something more. Then you'll do your open water dives the following weekend. With a good instructor you'll have practiced and gotten the skills down well before you go into open water and really dive. You'll love it.

Wow 800-1000 for an OW course is a Rip Off. I think the average you will find for everything is qround 4-500 depending. I got myself and G/F certified for 500 total.... Shop was offering a special at the time we signed up. Definetly wait till you get to SC I am sure there will be mch more realistic Dive Shops there.

800-1000? Where is this?

Frankly your SOLUTION is POOL POOL POOL POOL POOL POOL.

Many of the things you are fighting are in your head, and are your reactions to an un-instinctual situation (i.e. breathing underwater).

Breathing with a mask on is no issue, eyes and nose are DRY. Breathing with nose immersed in water is totally contrary to your body's instincts, and some are prone to panic/discomfort until they can control the built-in reactions.

The ONLY way to accomplish this is practice. Even if you sit in a pool in 4ft of water, sit there with mask on/off etc. 100 times.

Good luck with it, and if you want to get certified rest assured you can get over these reactions with practice. But PLEASE, practice.

Thanks for all of your responses.

The 800-1000 is in Maine. I don't know why it is that expensive. Maybe because its not as popular up here as warmer places.

I think the pool would be my best option as well and practice with taking off the mask and getting more comfortable.

Thanks again for your input! Much Respect

First,

Thanks for all the replies! Awesome

Second,

To get OW cert where I am from is expensive, like 800-1000. I can't afford that so I took a trip to Costa Rica and Bocas Del Toro and tried getting in Panama as it is only 200 to get certified

The instructors and owner was really great to deal with but like my local dive shop told me, " they are cheap because they shove people through the program ". I'm moving to Charleston, SC this fall and can hopefully finish my certification before it expires.

I think the dizziness happened as we descended a little quick and I wasn't able to equalize properly but it was my fault for trying to keep up. Its pretty nerve racking to be dizzy while breathing under water. I thought it might of been related to my traumatic brain injury because I also had sharp pains in the side of my head. Taking off my mask and swimming around also contributes to the dizziness.

Every dive shop in Bocas gives OW cert in 3 days of diving. They gave me the book before I even went to the first day and told me to read chapters 1-5 and then I watched the video and took the test the first half of the day and dived the second half.

Just to be clear, if you've had any type of brain injury you should definitely speak to your physician and make sure that they clear you to dive. I just recently bought some gear from someone who could no longer dive due to a brain injury.

As for doing your certs, take your time descending (I take a while to clear, much longer than the other people in my OW dives for my cert) and if you feel dizzy, stop and clear things. If you can't, ascend and dive another day. The "intro to scuba" type courses are great for getting you in the water quickly, but I suspect (without having taken one) that they skip over a lot of the details that even the OW (admittedly short on details these days as well) give you that really help to increase your understanding and comfort level.

There are a lot of places around Charleston to dive, so you'll be able to finish there. Worst thing that happens is you take another classroom course and get some more pool time that will only make you more comfortable and a better diver. A few dollars wasted, but not nearly as much as your life is worth if you don't get adequate training.

Back
Top Bottom