Could we dive off this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff3d:
I'm looking to save up some cash and perhaps buy a Rinker Captiva 192 (a bowrider runabout) or something similar... We don't do much diving, but would like to know if it would at least be possible (and without too much inconvenience) off a boat like this... I don't know too much about boats in general but I love being on 'em and thought this might make a good first boat :wink:

Is there anything in particular that a boat used for diving should / shouldn't have?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Geoff

I'm not really knowledgeable about these things but that boat, while it looks very nice, is also very expensive. For the same price you could buy yourself a bad-*** RIB.

R..

Hank49:
That pea shooter you're looking at is a lake cruiser for Sunday afternoons in the summertime. Get a REAL :crossbone boat. :D Something along these lines. Hank http://www.regulatormarine.com/21fs.html#

That little thing you linked isn't a dive boat. THIS is a dive boat. I'm sure he wouldn't have trouble finding a dive buddy or two, and air? No problem, it has TWO 15 cf/min compressors on board.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/uk/l...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1912&url=

In short, that is a lake boat for the gold chain over the hill crowd. No, you cannot really dive off that in the OCEAN with any real sense of security. The Regulator 19-21 footer, BW 190, 170 etc center console offshore boats are the way to go, forget the lake boat for diving in any serious way.

Thanks everyone for the replies - this is very useful info.

I didn't actually realise that the boat I was looking at wasn't useable at sea.

So what makes a center console good for diving? Is it the layout of the deck, or does a center console boat mean that it has a different hull shape, or what?

I still want a boat that is going to be comfy enough to just cruise with some friends sometimes, too.

I really should have prefaced my original post with 'I don't have a clue'. :wink:

Cheers,

Geoff

geoff3d:
boat I was looking at wasn't useable at sea.
... 'I don't have a clue'
OOhhhhhhhhhhh....
You want to go to sseeaaaaaaa...
I thought you were talking lake, (not Great Lakes) diving...
Well, now I have some definite opinions there.
In that size range, I would only consider a Boston Whaler or an Aquasport or a Grady White as salt-water suitable. I'm sure there are others with which I am not acquainted (I 'don't have a clue' what's available in the UK).
In the 21' range add the Wellcraft, whose basic hull is available in many layouts that range from the basic open center console to something similar to what you're looking at - but the hull is seaworthy.
Good luck.
Rick

geoff3d:
So what makes a center console good for diving? Is it the layout of the deck, or does a center console boat mean that it has a different hull shape, or what?

Lots of deck space.

In boats, more so than anything else I've ever dealt with, EVERYTHING is a trade-off.
Size vs. trailerabilty, storabilty, and cost. Open deck space for diving vs shelter. Ride
vs. stability and gas mileage.

Chuck Tribolet:
Lots of deck space.

In boats, more so than anything else I've ever dealt with, EVERYTHING is a trade-off.
Size vs. trailerabilty, storabilty, and cost. Open deck space for diving vs shelter. Ride
vs. stability and gas mileage.

When I am diving I wish I had a center console, when I am spending the night I'm glad I have the cabin and other creature comforts. Everything is definitely a trade off in boats.

--Matt

dannobee:
That little thing you linked isn't a dive boat. THIS is a dive boat. I'm sure he wouldn't have trouble finding a dive buddy or two, and air? No problem, it has TWO 15 cf/min compressors on board.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/uk/l...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1912&url=

whimper...whine, with tail between my legs rolling over.... :D THAT ain't a dive boat...that's a floating mansion nicer than any house I've ever lived in....and my father was a doctor.

Rick Murchison:
OOhhhhhhhhhhh....
You want to go to sseeaaaaaaa...
In that size range, I would only consider a Boston Whaler a Grady White as salt-water suitable. I'm sure there are others with which I am not acquainted (I 'don't have a clue' what's available in the UK).
In the 21' range add the Wellcraft, Good luck.
Rick

Those are very nice boats but there are other brands with deep V, seaworthy, that are much more affordable. My boat, including the motor is half the price of a similar sized Whaler WITHOUT the motor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom