Could we dive off this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
When you venture into salt water...
In addition to all the standard safety equipment:
Take a GPS - even a hand-held is better than nothing.
Take both cell phone and VHF radio.
Take a spare prop. That's much more important than what the one you're running's made of.
If you're single engine, take a "kicker" - a small outboard that can bring you home in case the main engine dies. You may or may not need to install a special mod to the transom for this.
Plenty of chain; plenty of scope...
etc.
etc.
etc...
There are extremely expensive ways to go safely into the sea, and there are somewhat less expensive ways... but if it's cheap it's most likely dangerous. (and just because it's expensive it ain't necessarily good, either. Caveat Emptor and all that rot)
Rick

Very true Rick. There is "going to the sea" as in way the heck out in blue water (50 miles plus) and there is going out in seawater. "going out to sea" is hardball and unforgiving and I wish I had the money for a boat worthy of that type of boating. But I'm stuck with a local made single (new and well maintained) engine that I use mainly inside the reef and for trolling and diving just outside.
So I see you're not a mod now. You don't look retiree age..what the heck?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom