Could we dive off this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff3d

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to save up some cash and perhaps buy a Rinker Captiva 192 (a bowrider runabout) or something similar... We don't do much diving, but would like to know if it would at least be possible (and without too much inconvenience) off a boat like this... I don't know too much about boats in general but I love being on 'em and thought this might make a good first boat :wink:

Is there anything in particular that a boat used for diving should / shouldn't have?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Geoff

A good boarding ladder.
It's easy to get off the boat, but it can be a booger getting back in without a good ladder.

I dare say that the factory installed unit will be impractical for divers purposes.

the K

The boat you're contemplating, judging from the photo, doesn't seem to have an easy way to enter the water in full gear. The stern seems to be enclosed and windows come back aft of the cockpit, so side rolls either port or starboard don't look very practical either. But if getting in appears to be difficult, like K says, getting OUT appears to be even more problematic. Possibly remove your gear in the water and clip it to a line, then get in yourself, then haul your gear in afterwards...

Could you do it? sure.

Is there likely a better boat for a dive platform? I suspect so.

It depends on whether this is a boat for diving with a little fun thrown in on the side, or a boat for fun with a little diving thrown in on the side.

Sure you can dive from it.
It is not optimized for diving by a long shot, and you'll have to adapt your diving to accomodate its shortcomings as a dive platform... but you can dive from just about anything that floats.
Now how much damage you'll do to the boat getting gear on and off it, and how many stubbed toes you'll have from trying to move around with dive gear aboard... you may decide not to dive from it very often - but again, you definitely can dive from it. :)
Rick

Thanks very much for the replies.

I guess it is primarily a boat for fun first, diving second.

I figured you could just step-in (although I can't quite see how easy it would be to suit up anywhere) and then remove the gear before climing up the ladder - although true, the ladder might be a bit flimsy / not deep enough / too small as well.

Can anyone recommend a not overly expensive boat that might have a better aspect to entering / exiting the water? I'm having a little trouble searching for a "dive boat review", as all I keep getting is results for dive boat packages and holidays etc.

Cheers,

Geoff

It all depends on what you need/want to do other than diving. For instance a pontoon boat might be workable, if your non-diving is putt-putt stuff, not tense about max speed or using it in overly rough sea conditions.

A bit of scootin' around to some little offshore islands, some swimming and watching the sunset I guess... perhaps a bit of water-skiing. It'll be our first boat, so something that'll do as a 'general purpose' boat.

geoff3d:
Can anyone recommend a not overly expensive boat that might have a better aspect to entering / exiting the water? I'm having a little trouble searching for a "dive boat review", as all I keep getting is results for dive boat packages and holidays etc.

Cheers,

Geoff

This is a difficult question without more parameters. I think you'll find your boat purchase decision very iterative.

I own a 19' cuddy cabin Bayliner Capri. I have owned this boat since 2000 (I bought it brand new) and I use it hard. These are reasonably priced, reliable, and emphasize the "big stuff" (engines, systems, space engineering) but do not offer the nicest trimmings. What I mean by trim is fancy gauge housings, color schemes, etc. When I was shopping I considered several brands offering 19' cuddy cabin boats. My priorities were best suited by the Bayliner. It offered the largest cabin, the best space engineering for diving needs (ability to store gear/tanks), the same engine as the other boats (Merc 3.0L with Alpha 1 outdrive), same warranty, swim platform, and the best price by about $2000. I have added many things to my boat. This year I added a "real" X-mas tree dive ladder. This enables me to climb out wearing doubles. Previously (using the factory ladder) I would have to roll out of my gear, attach it to a line, climb up, then lift the gear onboard. I can carry 3 tech divers and 1 topside support person on my boat. This allows enough room to shift the gear out of the cabin and overnight. I also have a stand-up canvas enclosure that can extend to the back of the boat.

If you are going to boat on the ocean you need either a cuddy cabin or an open boat with scuppers (holes in the back that will let water out). Unless you only cruise in lake like conditions (pretty much never on the ocean) you would not want an open bow cruiser. One wave over the bow and you instantly have 100lbs of water on board. Plus the wind, spray, and usually colder temps make them impractical. A cuddy cabin will spill the water over the side of course.

If you buy a used boat - get a marine survey. This costs about $350 and is worth every penny if you use a reputable surveyor. Many, many, many boaters have made the mistake of buying a used boat without a survey to discover significant repair costs a short time later. If you have a marine mechanic friend that is another story of course. I would also suggest you buy the largest boat that you can afford to have fully equipped. A 19' well equipped boat is much safer than a 22' boat with limited equipment. Anticipate thousands of dollars in equipment from the USCG required safety gear to bottom paint to electronics, etc. If you plan to slip or keep it on a mooring there are additional costs which may include a dinghy and small outboard engine (unless you want to row).

Boat Test is a good resource:
http://www.boattest.com/main.aspx

Many boats have online owners clubs as well. The Bayliner Owners Club is an extremely useful resource for me. http://pub12.ezboard.com/bbocweb Several members are marine mechanics for example. You can also get a sense of others experience with a particular model. Ideas for where to buy certain accessories, additional gear installation tips, etc.

Good luck with your search.

--Matt

Captiva makes good boats for wter skiing. my brother owns a captiva 212 and that boat with the right prop will go about 70mph on a nice smothe river. hes got a chevy 350 in it witch make a big difference. i think it would be a good pleaser boat. w diving.
i would look into it also i would look at a crestliner more floor room and you cna still plesure boat in it if you get a 250hp 4stoke out bord it would be alot better.
http://www.crestliner.com/images/boatmodels/2150SF_OB.jpg
www.crestliner.com

geoff3d:
A bit of scootin' around to some little offshore islands, some swimming and watching the sunset I guess... perhaps a bit of water-skiing. It'll be our first boat, so something that'll do as a 'general purpose' boat.

Asking what kind of boat to get here is going to get you a million answers...all different. For cruising around the ocean islands there must be at least 30 different brands of boat that will suit your needs. I go on line and look at all the brands of 20-26 foot, center console, V bottoms, because that's what I like and use and I could spend hours doing it....like a kid in a SEARS catalog at Christmas. My suggestion would be to look at boats that are a bit seaworthy..meaning they can handle rough water if needed given that you'll be in the sea. And more of an open cockpit that allows for easy moving around putting gear on and off and also a little comfort. That pea shooter you're looking at is a lake cruiser for Sunday afternoons in the summertime. Get a REAL :crossbone boat. :D Something along these lines. Hank http://www.regulatormarine.com/21fs.html#

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom