Costochondritis and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've recently developed chest pains and went to the doctor today. I had an EKG and my heart activity is normal. He said my lungs sound fine and said that it was most likely costochondritis and that it just has to resolve itself over time (and take tylenol/ use a heat pack).

Assuming I can handle the weight of the scuba kit, is there any reason I should not dive?

Thanks. Must have spelled it wrong when I searched.

You don't give any information about your age or your cardiac risk factors. Now, it may well be that your examination was conclusive for costochondritis, but you should be aware that a single EKG does not in any way rule out coronary artery disease. If there are any facets of your pain that are worrisome -- increased with exertion, associated with nausea or sweating -- or if you have multiple cardiac risk factors (male, age over 40, overweight, diabetic, high cholesterol, smoker) then you might very well want to get some additional evaluation.

If the pain was brought on by some type of unusual activity, is reproduced with deep breaths and arm movement, and can be induced by pressure on the connections between the ribs and the breastbone, then costochondritis is a reasonable diagnosis.

You don't give any information about your age or your cardiac risk factors.

If the pain was brought on by some type of unusual activity, is reproduced with deep breaths and arm movement, and can be induced by pressure on the connections between the ribs and the breastbone, then costochondritis is a reasonable diagnosis.

I am 30 and have very low risk for heart issues (no abnormal family history, the ones who died of heart issues were over 85 when it happened, female, non-smoker, not obese (I am slightly overweight), no diabetes, low blood pressure, good cholesterol levels, partake in regular physical activity) the doctor wanted to do the EKG just in case, but he did not think it was likely to be my heart -he was more concerned it was a blood clot (lungs?) due to medicines I take, but after examination it appears he ruled that out as well.

The pain does not increase with most activity (the walk to the clinic is over a mile and that was no problem, I did very light weight lifting last night), but some such as reaching (like to hand over my credit card) or using my arm to help myself stand up does make it increase. Some deep breaths increase the pain, but not all of them. It is incredibly touch sensitive and the pain can be pin-pointed to about 3 specific areas right of the center of my chest.

Back
Top Bottom