Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmantis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Any recommendations for diving around Costa Rica around June? I realize it's not well known as a dive destinations but just checking as I plan to spend 2-3 weeks in the country. Thanks

We dove with Rich Coast Diving in Playas del Coco back in August. We had a great experience and it was my wife's first dive after getting certified. There's a lot of big marine life on the pacific side, not sure exactly what is in the area in June.

My wife and I are going to be in Jaco and Quepos for spring break this year. Trying to decide how many days to stay in each...and we're both very experienced divers. If the Quepos/MA area is much better for diving (desperately trying to find better info than the sludge that's posted on TripAdvisor! LOL), then I think we'll put most of our days down there. Any opinions? We've both dived with sharks many place, mantas, Napoleon wrasse, octopus, etc. Would love to see mantas again (sounds like it's the season there now).

Cocos (Isla del Coco) is well known.

OK Dan, you win the prize for the best scuba video compilation I've ever seen! Tell me you didn't shoot all of this yourself???? Looks like Cocos is about 250 miles from the coast...did you do a liveaboard to get there?

That’s my 3rd trip to Cocos and I use GoPro so it’s easy to do it all myself, however mind you the video quality.

Unfortunately yes, Cocos is over 340 miles (550 km) from Costa Rica coast. It’ll take 36 hour liveaboard ride to the island. However, you’ll be rewarded with the remoteness.

My wife and I are going to be in Jaco and Quepos for spring break this year. Trying to decide how many days to stay in each...and we're both very experienced divers. If the Quepos/MA area is much better for diving (desperately trying to find better info than the sludge that's posted on TripAdvisor! LOL), then I think we'll put most of our days down there.
Jaco is more known for surfing. I dove in Herradura which was the next town over (10-15 min. taxi ride.) IMO, the diving was nothing special, vis wasn't great, but did see a variety of starfish - Playa Herradura is in a horseshoe shaped, protected bay so that was nice. Not sure the dive op I used, Herradura Divers, is still open.

Quepos/Manuel Antonio supposedly has some decent dive sites, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that.

Unfortunately yes, Cocos is over 340 miles (550 km) from Costa Rica coast. It’ll take 36 hour liveaboard ride to the island. However, you’ll be rewarded with the remoteness.
The crossing is one of my favorite parts of that trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom