Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skydvr8029

Registered
Reaction score
Just returned from Costa Rica last night and have to say I really enjoyed the dives with Rich Coast. They were professional and very accommodating. I did three dives, two local and Bat Island on Friday. The Bat Island trip was well worth even though the bull sharks were stubborn and decided not to show up. We did see very large mantas and a school of spotted eagles. Just seeing the gracefulness of the mantas made the trip worth while. The local dives are great but there might be visibility issues depending on the day you go. Just remember you can't control mother nature and neither can Rich Coast. When we go back I will definitely choose Rich Coast.

George

Just returned from Costa Rica last night and have to say I really enjoyed the dives with Rich Coast. They were professional and very accommodating. I did three dives, two local and Bat Island on Friday. The Bat Island trip was well worth even though the bull sharks were stubborn and decided not to show up. We did see very large mantas and a school of spotted eagles. Just seeing the gracefulness of the mantas made the trip worth while. The local dives are great but there might be visibility issues depending on the day you go. Just remember you can't control mother nature and neither can Rich Coast. When we go back I will definitely choose Rich Coast.

George

Batisland.jpg

Too bad about your Bat Island trip, having been there, I know how long the boat ride is, and what your expectations are. Here's what you missed:

Bullr.jpg

KBKWH-BullShark-1.jpg

DM told us he thought it was a pregnant female, maybe 10-12 feet long. There were also two adolescents, and three or four juveniles hanging around.

We are definitely going back, as well!

Cheers!

It's only an hour boat ride!!! :wink: And no matter if the Bull Sharks are there at Big Scare; Black Rock or Los Arcos are both amazing dive sites.

George

George - Your post brought back great memories of my trip last year. Bummer about not seeing bull sharks at Bat Island. I didn't see any the first day at Bat Island so went back the second day and saw seven of them. After the one hour surface interval, we saw no bull sharks cause the viz was so bad. Amazing the difference in viz in just one hour but like you said you can't control Mother Nature. Bats Island was definitely worth it for the bulls, mantas and spotted eagle rays.

I dove in Heradura Costa Rica and the dives were excellent. I was able to mingle with white tip sharks both in open water and in small caves, just 20 min.s from shore.
I plan to go in February and would like to try the Bat Island dives, when you have chance, can you let me know who you used in Costa Rica for the dives you made.
Thank you in advance.

Angel

I saw lotsa white tip sharks at Catalina Island and the largest manta ray I've ever seen swam under my buddy and I during our safety stop. Hands down the best safety stop to date.

Not sure if your Bat Island op question was meant for ibj40 or me. I dove and stayed at Ocotal Beach Resort. Ocotal requires a local dive with them first to determine your skills before taking you to Bat Island.

I took this bull shark pic at 70 ft as he was swimming away from me.

Attachments

• Sam_Bull_Corrected.jpg
    Sam_Bull_Corrected.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Abucs489,
i am happy to hear that you enjoyed to dive in Herradura -and with us-.

I dove 4 times Bat Island, and always with Summer-Salt Dive Center
Summer Salt - Costa Rica

Be advised that trips to the Bat island in February are not always possible due strong northerly winds.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom