Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabass

Reaction score
I am going to costa rica this Dec 22-Jan 8 and am looking to understand where I can dive. We will be staying manuel san antonio park for most of the trip, but as I understand it the best diving is more northwest.

Is it worth it to go northwest?
How long does it take (no car so will have to take a bus or get a driver)?
Where should I stay (should have fun land based things for my non diving fiance to do as well)?
Is there decent diving around manuel san antonio?

Hi,
I dove in costa rica at El Ocotal http://www.ocotaldiving.com. The people at the shop were very nice, the dive was also great, saw some shark, lots of fish and an awesome giant mantaray!! It made the whole trip worth it. Also the boat ride was incredible, we saw 3 different kinds of dolfin, flying fish ,sailfish, humpback whales ,pilot whales,and turtles.
Ocootal beach is near playa del coco and flamingo beach,north of manuel antonio. There is no diving that I could find at manuel antonio,it is very beautiful though.
It is a long drive from manuel antonio to Ocotal about 5 hours.
have a safe trip.
wish i was going this year.
A

I just got back from my trip (2 weeks). We did the normal costa rica tour things:

Tortuguero - we stayed at mawamba lodge and toured the rainforest for 2 days.

Arenal - stayed at tabacon resort - awesome hot springs and a great spa. Did a horseback riding trip to the volcano which was fun.

Monteverde - did a canopy tour (zipping down wires between trees). This was fantastic, the longest one was 1/4 mile and at least a few hundred feet above the ground. Hiked in the cloud forest.

Manuel Antonio/Quepos - Dove and ended up getting my advanced cert from costa rica diving (costaricadiving.com). Also went on an ATV tour and a whitewater rafting tour. Ate at a couple of good restaurants and had new years at El Gran Escape which was a good restaurant. I ate at the sushi restaurant which I do not recommend. The sushi was mediocre. We ate mostly fish - I ate seabass at least 5 meals.

I dove 3 days with costa rica diving, they are the only dive operation in town. They also operate out of drake bay which Greg Chavez (the instructor/owner) said is the best mainland diving. It has as much animal life as up north and average vis is 60ft.

There wasn't a ton of animal life on the dive, but I had a lot of fun. There were a ton of lobsters so I spent a lot of time trying to catch them. I caught a couple that were too small, but greg caught a few for me so I had lobster two of the days.

The dive boat is small, something like a 15' boat with a canopy, but it is only 10 minutes or so to the dive site so it isnt a big deal. The boat can hold 6 divers, but there is not a lot of room to put on gear, but it isn't too bad. Entry is a backroll.

Day 1 - Two dives, 1 hour each, I was the only paid diver, but two of greg's friends/co workers also went so we had 4 divers. The vis was about 60ft which greg said is pretty rare. We saw 3 eels, a whitetip shark, scorpion fish, a lot of lobsters and a moderate amount of fish life. Greg mentioned to me that since the area is not protected (like drake bay) it is pretty heavily fished. Greg caught a few lobsters (yum!). Water temp was about 82 degrees. I get cold easily so I wore a 3/2mm full wetsuit.

Day 2 - Two dives - There were 3 other divers and two snorkelers. We picked about 20-30 oysters, didn't manage to catch any lobsters. Similar fish life to day 1, but viz was down to 30 feet.

Day 3 - Two dives, 1 hour each. Caught a couple of lobsters, viz was about 30 feet. There were 2 other divers, one was a divemaster (not the divemaster, just a divemaster who happened to be diving with us). One of the other divers was underweighted and I noticed that she was struggling at about 2000 psi. Her dive buddy (a dive master) did not seem to pick up on this. I wasn't sure what to do, so I let greg know. He helped her to let air out of her BC. I was a bit disappointed that a dive master was paying so little attention to her buddy. I kept watch on her since I knew her dive buddy was not and she started to have trouble again very soon after. She ended up struggling the rest of the dive and had a lot of trouble maintaining a 15 ft safety stop. I believe at first she ended up surfacing. She told me later that she spent the dive singing " I will survive" to herself. The second dive went much better since she was properly weighted.

The trip was not primarily a dive trip, so diving was secondary to the other stuff. However I did get to do some diving, but not necessarily in the best location. However I really enjoyed the diving. I would give the diving 3 stars out of 5. The lobster hunting made the fun factor really high for me. They also mentioned that I could go spear fishing there, which I have never done but would love to do.

Costa rica diving was an adequate dive operation and greg seemed to be a knowledgable instructor. The operation was pretty relaxed and very informal. I felt more like I was diving with a buddy than with a diving operation that was taking care of me (which is ok for me). I haven't done that much boat diving so I don't have a lot to compare to, but I would classify costa rica diving as a good but not great operation, however I would definitely dive with them again if I was in the area.

Greg mentioned to me that since the area is not protected (like drake bay) it is pretty heavily fished

LObster hunting and spear fishing do not exactly help the cause. Does it? WHat about the rest of us who want to see all that lobster u killed? We pay for our diving too u know ....

Fish, This thread is 4 years old

Seabass,

Times sure have changed here in Quepos! We at Oceans Unlimited would love to take you diving. Our shop is located in downtown Quepos, at the bottom of the main road up the hill to Manuel Antonio. We offer local diving to the 11 islands off shore of the park as well as daytrips to Isla Del Cano. We are a PADI IRRC member and offer all courses up to divemaster.

Our trips include full gear rental, all you have to bring is your c-card if you wish. For more information check us out on the web at www.oceansunlimitedcr.com

I'm glad to help dust this thread off!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom