Costa Rica: to dive or not to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in Costa Rica now on vacation. We are up in Samara for a couple beach days before heading south to Maneul Antonio and a little further. This isnt a "dive trip", but I did bring my cert card just in case.

Is it worth taking a trip somewhere, and if so to where, from where, and with who? We have a car so we can get around. Plan to go as far down as Uvita. (I am feeling pretty spoiled after my Indo trip last fall, so somehow feeling uninspired to dive here, but perhaps I should).

Thanks!
Jeremy

When you get to Manuel Antonio, drop by Oceans Unlimited. Easiest thing to do would be ask when you get there what the conditions are like. RIght now we have good viz and yesterday, plenty of fish and turtles, but its good to ask in case the viz etc changes. If you're going to dive you want to enjoy it and you don't sound overly enthusiastic right now! For me personally I like to dive anywhere I can to see the difference in the reef systems and life.

Hi Jeremy,

How are you? Shame you're not that enthusiastic about diving this holiday. Especially because the Pacific waters have so much to offer. The amount and variety of fish is really going to surprise you. There's small underwater life like seahorses, nudibranches and clown shrimps, but also the big 'guys' like different kinds of rays, sharks and turtles.

Now, let's say you'll get over- enthousiastic after reading these replies:)) The area around Playas del Coco (up in the north) is considert one of the best in Costa Rica when it comes to diving. At the moment we're in the middle of Manta Ray season, which means there's a good chance of having a close encounter with these friendly giants at the Catalina Islands.

I wish you a great holiday, let me know if you have any further questions I can help you out with.

Regards,

Zindie

Martin and Brenda van Gestel
Rich Coast Diving
PADI 5* IDC Center
Playas del Coco
Guanacaste 5019
Costa Rica
richcoastdiving@windowslive.com
Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure
dive@richcoastdiving.com
+506 2670 0176
+506 8391 4890

Hi Jeremy,
heading down south you will pass Herradura just 2 miles noth of Jaco where we are located.
Here you can dive with us on very steep volcanic formations attracting
huge swarms of fishes of any kind, manta rays, sharks, harlekin shirmps, sea horses, turtles, whales and so on.
A day trip across the gulf to Isla Tortuga will gift you a breaththaking white beach and various scenic divesites
with marine life in abundance and any "non-divers" can enjoy the underwater world while snorkeling.
Have a look at our photos and videos on our page and you may change your mind ...

Chris Karrer

I do agree - shame on me. At least I brought my c-card! We are leaving for Manuel Antonio for 2-3 days in the morning. Then a little further south for a couple days and leaving a day or two somewhere for some whitewater rafting. So no time to go up north (I did read diving up there can be really nice). So I guess the thing to do is check in at M.A. and go out for a couple tanks. Dont think Herradura fits in unless we do it on our way back north. Plan to lounge on the beach here at Playa Carillo until noon and then drive non-stop(ish) to M.A.

Any more advise/suggestions for diving around M.A. and vicinity are welcome (as are any good ideas on getting on some ~IV class rapids).

Jeremy

I would try to get some dives in if you could. The Catalina and Murcielago Islands are well worth it. Huge schools of fish, rays, sharks....

Not much coral but tons of life.

Skip Manuel Antonio and keep driving south. Its much nicer and much less busy. From Ojochal or Drake Bay you can get to Isla Del Cano. Outstanding diving there, and as it is far off the coast the visibility tends to be better than many places on the Pacific coast. Drake Bay is especially good if you want to see wildlife, as it is at the northern edge of Corcovado National Park.

If the weather has been good for several days, as rare as that can be, the Caribbean coast is great from Puerto Viejo or Manzanillo.

Costa Rica Diving in Flamingo is much closer to the Catalina islands than Playas del Coco, so its a cheaper trip and we were very happy with Harald last year. We actually had a dive there that we will probably never top.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom