Costa Rica-Restrictions to Bat Islands/Resort Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChgoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am heading down to Costa Rica in early October 2005. I have been trying to arrange for a dive trip to the Bat Islands. One dive op that I contacted stated that it was not permitted to travel to the Bat Islands because of "marine park regulations." Does anyone know more about this?

Also, the dive op stated that Resort Divers could take us to the Bat Islands. I contacted Resort Divers and they confirmed that they could take us to the Bat Islands. Does anyone have any knowledge/information regarding Resort Divers?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm that is the first time i've heard of that. I was just there like 1 month ago and didn't hear anything about that. that is interesting. The dive ops that i've used in the past there are Deep Blue Diving and Ocotal Diving at Ocotal hotel. both good ops in my opinion.

I had the same problem last April when I went to Costa Rica. I dove with Resort Divers everyday and they were awsome. In fact I found out that most OP overthere don't go to Bat Island because they are not equipped to go there and they have to rent a bigger boat which they're renting it from...Resort Divers!

So they simply invented that little story telling everybody that regulation doesn't permit to dive Bat Island to keep their reputation...the only regulation at Bat Island is about fishing and not diving. But when the seas are too choppy the park rangers could close access to the park for divers safety. Resort Divers are well informed about this.

Be prepare for some BIG bull sharks...the dive site is not call BIG SCARE for nothing!!
Bajo Negro as a second dive is a must...That's my favorite dive site. These are two deep dives. I was not certified nitrox at that time but if Resort Divers have nitrox, I would definitely do them nitrox.

This my trip report:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94683

Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/pascal_shanie

Have a great trip!

I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told heard from somebody while I was there that operators do need a permit to go out to Bats and not all do.

ChgoDiver:
I am heading down to Costa Rica in early October 2005. I have been trying to arrange for a dive trip to the Bat Islands. One dive op that I contacted stated that it was not permitted to travel to the Bat Islands because of "marine park regulations." Does anyone know more about this?

Also, the dive op stated that Resort Divers could take us to the Bat Islands. I contacted Resort Divers and they confirmed that they could take us to the Bat Islands. Does anyone have any knowledge/information regarding Resort Divers?

Thanks in advance.
I just came back from Costa Rica, diving with the club at Ocotal Beach Resort. They basically told me the same story - no diving at the Bat (Murciélago) Islands without a permit, which has to be requested a couple of days in advance. I strongly suspect that they just don't want to go there, because it is a long (1 1/2 hour) boat ride. This being said, the club was otherwise excellent, and I did not regret my dives at the Catalina Islands - four out of six swimming with giant Pacific manta rays!

Back
Top Bottom