Costa Rica Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi boulderjohn,

I was in CR with my wife and 2 friends earlier this month, and we opted not to stay at an all-inclusive resort and instead travelled around the country staying at B&Bs or hotels in different places. Getting around the country is a challenge - places may not look at that far on the map, but the roads can be really bad (either unpaved or full of pot holes and/or really tight). We used Interbus to get around - very professional service, nice if you don't want the hassle of driving yourself (but it will be more economical for 4 people to rent a car. I recommend a 4x4, although we survived a Toyota Yaris for 1 day). Going on the day-trip excursions from a resort in Guanacaste can be quite tiring as you'll be spending 8 hours on the road (4 hours there and back). You can find my trip report on the board. We travelled and stayed in each of San Jose, Monteverde, Playas del Coco, and Arenal. Lots of other places to see that we wished we had more time for (Manuel Antonio, Corcovado Park). I went to the Frommers web site for my preliminary research. Feel free to drop me a line if you want more info.

Good luck and pura vida!
Jeff.

kwonger81:
Hi boulderjohn,

Feel free to drop me a line if you want more info.

Good luck and pura vida!
Jeff.

Jeff,

Thanks,--I will end a PM when I have a better sense of our plans.

John

Hi hope you get this . Just got back from Costa Rica March 27th. Caribbean side. I have just posted some pic so go to my gallery. We are thinking of going back August recommed best time. If you need any information . I have lots. The diving poor vis at first great time to use compus this place has alot to search for. It rained of and on so we had many other adventures the people there are teriffic mostly from everywhere else very small town got to know many. the most friendly and helpful place we ever been. The Dive shop helped me plan from getting of the plane to getting on a bus and walking a few steps to shop. there are many places to stay very inexpencive. And the food is great no bad food. We went to a very small place Puerto Viejo Talamanca.The bus ride was long but beautiful best way to go. We stayed 12days so i could tell you some of the best places to stay or cheapest.There for 4 internet cafe and WI Fi too. And a great ATM and safe too. I f you need more details give me a buzz

The best diving in CR is Cocos island-10 days liveaboard and 3000$ so likely not an option for you.

After that look to Playas del Coco-NW(not NE as previously mentioned) Guanecaste. The diving is good and there is alot to do on land. Check out Deep Blue divers(if you go tell Billy and Terry that Rexman sent you)-great op. Look at Cat and Bat islands for advanced diving and big critters.

Next would be the SW Drake Bay-Cano Island and or the Uvita-Ballerna refuge area. This area is very remote and the greatest place to go for outdoor-rainforest-hiking-animals adventures. Check out Jinetes de Osa or Mystic diving.

The last place I would go would be the caribe coast-Puerto Viejo. The diving at least when I was there was poor, low vis and not many critters. It is a very jungley, party, rasta, remote, fun area. The dive op in PV is Reefrunners, and I would classifly my diving experience with them as very average maybe poor as a diveshop however it is pretty cheap. There is another dive shop south of PV in Manzanillo called Aquamor. I have heard if you hop across the border into Panama and Bocas del Toro the diving is better there.

Have a great time, CR is my favorite place to travel so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom