Costa Rica Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Another couple, my wife, and I are looking for a summer trip, and our previous plans got totally screwed, so we are rethinking everything. They had a relative go to Costa Rica and have a great time, and they have that bug. We are exploring possibilities, but we have to decide very quickly.

Here's the problem. Of all the people I mentioned, I am the only diver. On a trip, we would like to be somewhere where we could have a great time exploring the island's charms together and still allow me the chance to get off for a reasonable number of dives. We did a trip to Cozumel a while ago that worked great this way.

I am a fairly skilled and experienced diver who will be looking for the best possible experience.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for us as far as the best place to stay that will afford us the best of everything?

boulderjohn:
Another couple, my wife, and I are looking for a summer trip, and our previous plans got totally screwed, so we are rethinking everything. They had a relative go to Costa Rica and have a great time, and they have that bug. We are exploring possibilities, but we have to decide very quickly.

Here's the problem. Of all the people I mentioned, I am the only diver. On a trip, we would like to be somewhere where we could have a great time exploring the island's charms together and still allow me the chance to get off for a reasonable number of dives. We did a trip to Cozumel a while ago that worked great this way.

I am a fairly skilled and experienced diver who will be looking for the best possible experience.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for us as far as the best place to stay that will afford us the best of everything?
Your first problem is that Costa Rica is not an island.

Having got that out of the way as a diver I would probably want to start in the North East. Ocotal or one of the resorts nearby. The diving is pretty good and that area of Costa Rica is going to have pretty much the best weather i.e. hot and dry. It is probably the least interesting part of the country however.

The peninsula south of Ocotal is interesting, but the roads are marginal, and I don't think there is much in the way of diving, didn't look. We took an Echo over them, but I will drive pretty much anything anywhere so a 4 x 4 may be called for if you go this route. Anywhere else a regular car was fine.

Rent a car and go inland - Arenal for the volcano, wind surfing, kite surfing, bird watching, orchids white water rafting. The canopy tour is excellent, a day at the spa at the foot of the Volcano is also a good way to spend a day. The botanical garden is hard to find but worth a look if you are in the area and are interested in that sort of thing. The area around Mt Arenal is probably my favourite part of the country, however it can be cloudy and rainy depends on the luck of the draw re weather.

West of the volcano is interesting - farm country but we jsut drove through it on the way over the mountians to the plateau.

San Jose as a city you can take a pass on, but the communities around are worth a look. We stayed in a B&B coffee plantation the first trip and made that our first stop on the second. Hidden away, but very nice in the hills west of San Hose.

Manuel Antonio is nice, the diving is worth doing. Have yet to get to the Eastern side of the mountians. Not enough time. The canopy tour on the road down from San Jose to the coast is not as good as the one near Arenal. However if you are not into being harnessed to a zip line and travelling from treetop to treetop then this one will be more your style. You sit in an open gondola with a guide and ride through the treetops. Not as exciting, but still worth doing.

We have gone twice - rented a car and never spent more than three or four days in any one spot - just exploring. Wonderful country, never lacked for things to do or places to stay. It has something like 7 climate zones in a very very small area. Don't like the weather - drive a couple hours and it is completely different.

The country is really best done as a series of B&B's IMHO. However if you want a spot to explore from and you want hot and dry then The Ocotal or another hotel nearby would be a good choice.

Darnold9999:
Your first problem is that Costa Rica is not an island.

Did I say it was an island? I don't recall that.

Thanks for the very informative reply.

Maybe you might search for "Costa Rica", since I know that there are many trip reports on the board, primarily dealing with the Gulf of Papagayo area (northwest portion), which has excellent diving for marine life (though the viz is much less than, say, Cozumel). If going there, fly into Liberia, since that town is only a 30 minute drive from the coast. The road from San Jose to the Gulf of Papagayo is not great, and the trip takes 4 hours or so.

Several Costa Rican members of this board have talked favorably about fine diving in the Drake Bay area, in the southwest. Getting to Drake Bay is a bother since, I understand, you must fly in on some puddle-jump airline (Nature Air is one, I believe) from San Jose, but there apparently are quite a lot of non-diving activities if you cohorts are interested in nature walks, etc.

We found the Costa Rican people to be very nice, the prices generally very reasonable, and the trip as a whole to be excellent.

Hey there!
We vacationed on the North West side of Costa Rica and it was a fantastic trip. There were 8 of us and only 2 divers, and let me tell you the only sort of complaint that any of the non divers had were that they didn't spend alot of time relaxing on the beach or pool side as there was so much to do top side. We stayed at the Premier Fiesta Resort and Spa, and used Resort Divers which is right in the resort. From the resort there were all kinds of tours. I would strongly recomend the Canopy tour, the Liberia tour and the River tour. There is just so much to see and do that next time we'll be booking for 2 weeks.
http://www.1-costaricalink.com/costa_rica_information.htm

A good place to start is to check into the typical weather for the time you'll be travelling, in Costa Rica and anyplace else you're thinking about. We went to Guanacaste and Arenal in May, which I believe was just the beginning of the rainy season. It poured for 16 hours a day almost every single day. Bonaire and Roatan were gorgeous in August, and Puerto Rico and the USVI had only brief summer showers in July and August. Cheers!

Piglet Fish? Right on! The rains start in May and it is hit or miss for a few weeks. The Caribbean side has different weather patterns.

If you were going to travel later in the summer, like July, I would say go for it! The rainy season in Guanacaste is quite pleasant actually with afternoon showers that cool of the day and lush green everywhere. If your friends like to party, Tamarindo is the dirty little town for you. Otherwise you will want to steer clear.

The Carribean side is quite nice with a rasta influence and culture that is like night and day with the West Coast. The diving is also very different. Pacific diving has more of you huge creatures that might swallow you.

Any coastal town you go to in Costa Rica you will find plenty of options for divers and non-divers. Manzania Park, on the Caribbean side, is near Puerto Viejo which is an awesome little rasta fun town. I saw sloths in the trees hiking and there is a coral reef right off the beach.

Back
Top Bottom